EStim and Metal

General Chit Chat about E-Stim. Not just E-Stim Systems, but ErosTek, PES and others.
KBOneTwo

EStim and Metal

Post by KBOneTwo »

How concerned do I need to be about mixing Metal and EStim. I'm a newbie and when I started thinking about it, there is metal everywhere:
  • On chairs
  • On rings, piercings, and other kinds of jewelry.
  • On bed frames.
  • In couches.
  • In bondage gear (Cuffs, chains, padlocks, nipple clamps, clothes pins, etc.)
Should I strive to create a metal free environment for EStim? (get wooden chair, remove all jewelry, only use rope, warn other's around me who may be wearing jewelry, etc...) I purchased an ABOX and want to develop good practices from the beginning. Maybe I'm missing some key assurances, but it seems a lot goes into planning for and avoiding a second where some detail was missed.

Is the max power of the ABOX below a certain danger threshold to begin with that makes a lot of this mute?
Maybe if my floor is not made of metal I don't need to worry about strange grounding paths in general?
(Maybe the true and biggest mistake might be trying to make adjustments while the device is not completely turned off?)

Maybe my caution is good, but maybe I'm over complicating things. I'm not sure. Just would rather be safe than sorry. Maybe there is an easier what to think about it all.

admin
Site Admin

Re: EStim and Metal

Post by admin »

Yes you are over thinking things. Attaching the electrodes to the body generally means the current will flow through the body, not the bed frame they are sitting on, or the chair. You can even use the chair/bed/etc as part of the circuit, but you will possibly need more power than an ABox.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
Stimaddict
Active Developer

Post by Stimaddict »

KBOneTwo> Under normal circumstances and with a little common sense Estim is not in any way dangerous.
Have a good read through Tintin119's estim primer at this URL: https://www.reddit.com/r/estim/wiki/index#
KBOneTwo

Post by KBOneTwo »

Thanks for the replies. I read the article and appreciate the library of audio files.

I guess having a good electrode to electrode plan through the body is the main thing then. That, if you have made secure connections with the device off, (and then keep your hands off when current is flowing) the other un-grounded metals nearby aren't closely involved enough to interfere. (unless intentionally interacting with them in the circuit plan.)

Also, based on the article, it seems these devices are intentionally made to limit their max output. I guess that means that below the waist, it's safe to adjust the volume to max and then crank up the output to max on the ABOX even if it gets intense. Is that right?
mrbutt89
Active Developer

Post by mrbutt89 »

As Admin says, the biggest consideration is where the electrodes are on your body, and as long as you keep those below the waist, you really don't need to be worried.

A recommendation from another online forum is to wear latex gloves, just in case you want/need to adjust electrodes while there's still a current flowing through them. For beginners particularly there may be a temptation to grab an electrode if it moves position or slips out (if it's an insertable).

It might be worth noting that precum (like semen) is conductive, so if you produce a lot while edging you might suddenly get some unexpected contact points, e.g. if it dangles and makes contact between your penis and lower abdomen if you like to lay down to stim. I have an old leather weight training glove that I place on my abdomen to overcome this situation. I've seen other guys use plastic, e.g. a CD case.
KBOneTwo

Post by KBOneTwo »

Thanks for the additional advice and explanation. I appreciate it.