e-stim vs erostek

General Chit Chat about E-Stim. Not just E-Stim Systems, but ErosTek, PES and others.
AlexRope
Active

Re: e-stim vs erostek

Post by AlexRope »

This topic was really helpful for deciding which one to go with.

The exposed USB serial interface was the deciding factor for me to go with the 2B over the ErosTek 312B. It opens up a world of possibilities as I already have a Pi in the bedroom running SqueezeLite for network audio streaming... so ideas are forming! :D

birdburdy
Active Developer

Post by birdburdy »

Yes the USB port is awesome, although the response time is a bit slow which limits its utility.
Unofficial Python API for the E-Stim 2B: https://github.com/fredhatt/estim2bapi
Generating sounds in Python: https://github.com/fredhatt/estimsoundsynth
neo80
Active Developer

Post by neo80 »

Anyway, I've seen people who controls the erostek from an Arduino, but no idea what kind of interface it uses
LondonSubNigel
Active Developer

Post by LondonSubNigel »

If you hunt around, you can find details of the Erostek command protocol online - I think there's a perl library.

From what I've seen of it, it appears to be deliberately obscured, to try and make it as hard as possible to write other software to work with it, an of course the official Erostek stuff hasn't been updated in years (if ever).

There are those, however, who maintain that the command protocol is proprietary and that even to consider writing an application using it without permission from Erostek is such a shocking prospect that it can never be mentioned.
neo80
Active Developer

Post by neo80 »

LondonSubNigel wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:23 am If you hunt around, you can find details of the Erostek command protocol online - I think there's a perl library.

From what I've seen of it, it appears to be deliberately obscured, to try and make it as hard as possible to write other software to work with it, an of course the official Erostek stuff hasn't been updated in years (if ever).

There are those, however, who maintain that the command protocol is proprietary and that even to consider writing an application using it without permission from Erostek is such a shocking prospect that it can never be mentioned.
And that's the main reason I decided to buy the 2b!
+1 for e-stim systems
birdburdy
Active Developer

Post by birdburdy »

LondonSubNigel wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:23 am If you hunt around, you can find details of the Erostek command protocol online - I think there's a perl library.

Wouldn't it just be simpler to use the audio input of the Erostek? I've wondered several times if having (fast) audo input obsoletes having an API.. (I'm not sure).
Unofficial Python API for the E-Stim 2B: https://github.com/fredhatt/estim2bapi
Generating sounds in Python: https://github.com/fredhatt/estimsoundsynth
SVM
Active

Post by SVM »

How old is the ET312 now?

Are they working on an up to date replacement yet?