Request: Small Bluetooth 2 channel Estim box full of features

General Chit Chat about E-Stim. Not just E-Stim Systems, but ErosTek, PES and others.
Majorityon
Active

Re: Request: Small Bluetooth 2 channel Estim box full of features

Post by Majorityon »

Assuming that my notion of how it works is correct, there are 3 sets of pulses going on.

First is the "pattern" - say 15s on and 15s off.

Second are the pulses applied to the body when "on" - say at 100 Hz. This will be felt as the "buzz" that we are all familiar with. This will be controlled by switching the H bridge at 100 Hz when on and having all the H bridge transistors off when "off".

The third is very fast, much faster than 100 Hz, maybe at 60 kHz. This will be switching the transistor connected to the inductor to generate the high voltage stored on the capacitor.

This may sound complicated but it's standard electronics stuff all controlled by firmware.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think we are going to have to look into this......Fantastic ideas........... Boost Converter circuit with a controller and some output circuitry......no transformers.....WOW!!!

wait a minute!!!

Have we not being doing something very similar with our Series 1, ElectroHelix and ElectroPebble???

Sorry Guys, we have been doing this for 14 years :-) And the idea of trying to make something the size of a postage stamp is great apart from the fact you need a battery, connectors, indicators and controls, all of which take up more space than the drive system. :-)

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
Majorityon
Active

Post by Majorityon »

I'm sure you have Si, it's kind of obvious.
estimfun
Developer

Post by estimfun »

Si, I'll send you a pm with the device I'm using if you want to check it out.
estimfun
Developer

Post by estimfun »

Majorityon wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:41 am Assuming that my notion of how it works is correct, there are 3 sets of pulses going on.

First is the "pattern" - say 15s on and 15s off.

Second are the pulses applied to the body when "on" - say at 100 Hz. This will be felt as the "buzz" that we are all familiar with. This will be controlled by switching the H bridge at 100 Hz when on and having all the H bridge transistors off when "off".

The third is very fast, much faster than 100 Hz, maybe at 60 kHz. This will be switching the transistor connected to the inductor to generate the high voltage stored on the capacitor.

This may sound complicated but it's standard electronics stuff all controlled by firmware.
Oh wow interesting.
estimfun
Developer

Post by estimfun »

Ugh.. spent hours trying to figure out this low energy blue tooth stuff and commands. I can't figure it out. I'm thinking about pulling the buttons off and soldering on some optocouplers for the buttons and just running a wire to raspberry pi zero W to control the up/down via a python script. Of course that will make the whole thing bigger. I wish the app didn't suck so bad.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We know the feeling.

BLE chipsets seem to vary the world over, and for us the issues is always finding a reliable supplier with documented functionality - unfortunately we don't accept Amazon or EBay as reliable.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
estimfun
Developer

Post by estimfun »

admin wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:17 am We know the feeling.

BLE chipsets seem to vary the world over, and for us the issues is always finding a reliable supplier with documented functionality - unfortunately we don't accept Amazon or EBay as reliable.

Si
I took some optocouplers and soldered them to the up and down buttons inside the unit and am running wires to raspberry pi zero w. Just to make a simple automated ramp up. Same Raspberry Pi zero w I use to control the 2b via serial. So I've got super sensitive xzy breakout with G's detection on the back of the pi, and now it can control this little unit, but the foot print is bigger. Still have to interface the mode through the horrible phone app and the safety thing that makes you click the screen if you go over 50% power level.

I think if someone knew how (i don't), they legit could take the Estim part of a board make a breakout board the size of an American Quarter that just has the inductor, cap, h-bridge, the proper resistors to keep it body safe and short protection all SMD. You could take that , hot glue it to the back of the pi, throw an 300 MAH lipo on the other half of the back, then you've got a super programmable ultra portable tens unit the size of a wriggly stick of gum. Right software from the pi to drive the estim part (which I don't know how to program that or if the pi's PWM spec's would even work... Yea a pi is super overkill for this, but so it easy to program and prototype stuff with.

Probably would have to be a custom PCB build, because I doubt anyone would build that commercially.
estimfun
Developer

Post by estimfun »

Tried to combine the raspberry pi zero w with small estim box. I tried to give it power from the raspberry pi, ok that works, the little buzzer on the estim thing beeps when levels go up, can't have that so I tried to pull it out with a screw driver. And hot glued everything, rewired everything, with out the battery the Pi and the Estim unit was the size of a stick of wrigleys gum, very compact. Tried it out and .. its only outputting 1-2 volts and just stings the skin... What the hell. Looks like I killed it. It was fun while it lasted. Had many HFO from this setup before I killed it. I guess this project is closed for now. I don't want to spend another $50 on another one of these estim stim units.

Goal was an ultra compact, wireless, motion senstive estim unit that could be folded into your clothes. I got that far with it except I had three small boxes daisy chained, still ultra compact but I wanted it smaller. I should have stopped there I guess, but I combined the Pi and the Estim unit and was going to order a small lipo battery.

Oh well.
estimfun
Developer

Post by estimfun »

I couldn't resist.
Disclaimer:
I don't recommend anyone try building their own DIY setup. Leave it to the pro's, but since what I wan't doesn't exist I have to make it.

I made another DIY tiny stim box. Off the shelf cheap tens unit, isocouplers soldered onto each button, raspberry pi zero w, 3axis 2-8g direction/shock sensing breakout, boost/charger breakout, 500 mah battery, a mini latch button switch. Total cost around $80 for all boards and wires, buttons, stim unit, ect. I wrapped the hole thing in ducttape and then covered the whole thing with a thin layer of 160F thermal plastic to give it a hard case.

The tens unit it self was a cheap Chinese one that was pretty small, but I want to be able to control the up/down and change the mode and time. It uses the inductor capacitor h-bridge construction. I don't know the output, it has the same settings as the last unit I used. I use mode "8" "cupping" which is like intense mode thats on for 30 seconds and off for about 10, repeat. This unit feels only slightly less intense as the last one but it was $30 less.

This is all in self contained unit that runs everything off of 1 battery. I've got a high quality battery charger built into it. Version 1 of my mini-stim system had 3 small boxes daisy chained via wire (battery, raspberry pi zero w, stimunit). This one was broken down more so and sandwiched together.

V.1 Mini-Stim
-Retired/Killed it while modifying it
-HFO Certified? Yes.
-Beeps on level change? Yes
-Size, small but daisy chained to three boxes, battery very large

New V.2 Mini-Stim
-Size is 1 inch thick by 3.5 inches long by 2 inches wide. 1 self contained unit
-Output/Powerlevel: ?
-Beeps on level changes? No, completely silent :)
-HFO Certified? More Testing Needed.

It's a lot bigger than I really wanted and I know I can make this smaller with changes. It still fits into the waistbands of your clothes should you want take it with you.

A raspberry pi is completely overkill on this project.

Easiest solution would be an ATTINY85 or so chip as the brains. Nice thing about the pi is it can be updated and controled over wifi.

I'm using off the shelf tens units as I don't know how to make my own inductor/capictor/h-bridge circuit. In most of these tens units the Ten's part is the size of an American Quarter. Pretty sure this thing could be .5 inch thick 2 inches long by inch wide if you could make your "tens" breakout with smd transistors.

Right now the programming is if 2g's (gravity force) are felt, it ramps up to 100% and stays there for a few minutes and then ramps back down to 0 and waits until another 2g's are detected.

Another program I made ramps up based on time stamps for a video of an adult movie I have.

Sensor in it can also detect xzy movement and direction. Lots of things can be done with this.

Still not as powerful as the full fledged flagship estim units. Still less powerful than transformer based E-stim boxes.

Learned some things. I will use Silicone coated 22awg wire next time, issues with wire being to stiff, silicone wire could fix that. Instead of using an 4-dip isocoupler for each button, I'm going to buy a 4 channel array isocoupler and run wires to the buttons. I like the boost/charger breakout and 500mah is a good sized battery. Debating infinite programming posbilities but larger size with a Pi vs a single use/function but super tiny, ATMega tiny chip.

Wish there was a schematic of a inductor/capcitor/h-bridge estim unit build somewhere. Tried looking but the only ones I can find online use a transformer.

Mods: If this is inappropriate because of DIY topic, please delete it.