2b connect to computer

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
doudou95
Active

2b connect to computer

Post by doudou95 »

Dear all I have a Big problèm when I connect the 2b on my computer with the jack ptise it turns off my pc I'm afraid of ending up killing my computer
Did you have some Idea?

admin
Site Admin

Re: 2b connect to computer

Post by admin »

Which Jack plug? Do you mean the Digital Link? What OS are you running?

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
whaappen1968
Active

Post by whaappen1968 »

I have the same problem. HP laptop running Windows 10. Just putting the jack into the combined headphone/mic socket.

If I put the jack in and the unit is turned on the laptop shits down immediately.

If the 2B is turned off it doesn't. Turning the 2B on, still fine. Select stereo mode, laptop shuts down.

I currently use the 2B through the headphone jack on my external speakers, that works fine.
doudou95
Active

Post by doudou95 »

Yes this is exactly my problem so if I understood correctly I have to turn on the 2b first, plug it in then turn on the pc?
Wolfie
Active

Post by Wolfie »

This could very well be some kind of over current protection kicking in on the laptop. It is part of the RFC standard.

All I can imagine is that when the jack is plugged in while the unit is turned on you are making a circuit that wasnt expected in the design.

Stero mode while using the serial adapter would cause all kinds of mischeif as at that moment in time the jack is being used to send 1's and 0's between the 2B and the PC. Not sure why you'd try set the stero mode on while connected to the PC via the console cable lol. Don't tell me you've pluged in a splitter. :?
whaappen1968
Active

Post by whaappen1968 »

No, not thew console cable, just the audio cable, headphone socket on the laptop to audio input on the 2B.

I think the problem may be that modern laptops don't have separate headphone and mic jacks, it's just one jack. Maybe it recieves something from the 2B it doesn't like?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A suggestion would be to not connect the 2B until you have switched it into Stereo Mode.

Does that work?

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

whaappen1968 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:48 pm No, not thew console cable, just the audio cable, headphone socket on the laptop to audio input on the 2B.

I think the problem may be that modern laptops don't have separate headphone and mic jacks, it's just one jack. Maybe it recieves something from the 2B it doesn't like?
That is possible as if you are not in Stereo mode, The Digital Link is operational., even if the Digital Link is plugged in. So the current suggestion is to switch the 2B into Stereo mode BEFORE plugging it in to your Laptop.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

a quick google indicates this is actually common with some brands of laptop and headphones.... intel HD audio and HP look like a common issue

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
whaappen1968
Active

Post by whaappen1968 »

admin wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:57 am A suggestion would be to not connect the 2B until you have switched it into Stereo Mode.

Does that work?

Si
No, then the laptop shuts down as soon as I insert the plug.

I've given up experimenting as I don't want to damage my laptop. I now use the headphone jack in my external speakers. That works fine.

My home sound setup is laptop to SMART TV via HDMI, and surround sound system from the TV. The main powered speaker has a headphone jack that cuts off ther speakers and runs a stereo signal. It's convenient as well because it means I can adjust the sound input to the 2B using the TV remote.