First experience with Audio Mode and questions...

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
Switcher81
Active

First experience with Audio Mode and questions...

Post by Switcher81 »

Hello!

I am a brand new 2B user and I have some experience with Stereo Stimming. I read some posts here in the forum before my first try and I am aware of the learning curve with the 2B. However, I was quite surprised that the audio files I love from the Stereo Stimming world do feel quite different. Of course, I will do more testing. However, I do have a few questions and would like to get your opinion on it. The questions might be quite technical. The reason is that I am also interested in generating audio files in the future... I know the Bastard file that was circulated here, and I know that it has some frequency modulation in it.

1. Yesterday I tried a simple, pure sinus signal as an input with different frequencies (between 100 and 2000 Hz). I was quite surprised that I did not feel much of a change when I raised or lowered the frequency.
Question: Have you made the same experience?

2. Question on the sound level input: Of course it is tricky to get the right levels, since the audio files do have different amplitudes at different positions in the file. So I tried to find the loudest part of the file and set the audio player level to a level where I felt something. Most of the time the input audio was on maximum (i used an old iPod touch), A and B on around 20.
--> Was that a bad setting? When I tried to lower the input volume and raise A/B, I've got some quite intense parts in the audio file.
--> Is the input volume linear? I had the feeling that the change in feeling was drastic in the upper range of the audio settings on my iPod, however, on the lower ends there was nothing. I saw 1-3 bars flickering on the 2B, however I did not feel a lot, even when I turned A/B to higher values...

I will surely experiment further...

Cheers!

Stimaddict
Active Developer

Re: First experience with Audio Mode and questions...

Post by Stimaddict »

Switcher81 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:23 am 1. Yesterday I tried a simple, pure sinus signal as an input with different frequencies (between 100 and 2000 Hz). I was quite surprised that I did not feel much of a change when I raised or lowered the frequency.
Question: Have you made the same experience?
Yeah, the 2B was never designed or intended for pure tones. IMHO they are boring. Personally I need much more.
Switcher81 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:23 am 2. Question on the sound level input: [...] --> Is the input volume linear?
Linear output is different to linear sensation. Therefore the output map has to be a compromise to please the majority of users.

For suggestions on using audio files in Stereo Mode see this post: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9670&p=14169#p14169
Switcher81
Active

Re: First experience with Audio Mode and questions...

Post by Switcher81 »

Stimaddict wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:26 pm Yeah, the 2B was never designed or intended for pure tones. IMHO they are boring. Personally I need much more.
It is the same with me. However, it is a fundamental test, because apparently then any change in frequency cannot be felt (or at least would have a feeling that you wouldn't expect a priori). Therefore it is the question what the frequency modulation does in certain stim files (including Bastard). Therefore: More experiments are required ;)