Stereo/Audio Benchmark/Troubleshoot

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
ztim
Active

Stereo/Audio Benchmark/Troubleshoot

Post by ztim »

Okay so there are a bunch of posts about people asking about "compatible" audio files and being dissatisfied with the "response" of the 2B to audio. There are also others that say everything works "properly". From what I can tell, this appears to be a community with some very reasonable and curious people. So, I want to ask and answer this question in a more systematic way.

What do you expect from certain files/waveforms and what do you feel?

For the record, all of the built in routines are awesome. So no complaints about the unit. Would recommend.

I have two examples. My test setup is simple: CR below glands, CR on perineum (behind base and balls, top have insulated). I'm running 2.118 firmware (btwI really like the new ones since 2.106).

One file is from the 2B downloads that comes with a unit: exp_49
exp49.PNG
I expected that all peaks would be felt within a comfortable/tolerable range.
For me, at a minimum power, the last peak is most intense, followed by the preceding two peaks, and the rest is silent. At a higher power level, when the earlier peaks are felt, the peaks at the end are far too intense, especially since they're so short/quick.

Next is Bastard by StimAddict. I hope he's okay with it, because overall in my explorations of it it's a very fun composition. So would also recommend. It has a good diversity of segments to compare so that's why I chose it. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9670&hilit=bastard

In these three segments, I have to turn the power up in order to feel them. The first one, feels more or less how I expected it, which I would describe as spikes/shocks at semi-random times and intensities. In the second I also feel spikes but more regular in timing but not necessarily intensity.
Capture2.PNG
In the third, I was expecting some kind of smooth ramp up and down but it actually feels a bit like the first one but with even quicker spikes (in terms of how long it lasts). I also have to turn the power up more for this one.

The next two are ones that require less power and feel exactly as they appear. But when the previous three are turned up to a feeling threshold, these become an intolerable intensity.
In the first one you'll notice #1 from above in the middle, flanked by the two "less intense" segments.
Capture4.PNG
I find turning the adjust value way up actually makes the audio feel more "responsive", in a way. Except for some other files it makes it feel more "choppy" or more "stutter". I tried both Stereo and Adv Stereo, with different power maps. Didn't make too much of a difference for these. But I need to play around more to be sure, it may be subtle or nuanced.

Also, I'm running this off of a laptop audio jack played with Audacity. But I get similar results in VLC and Goldwave. Volume is set in the 40's and I get a full bar graph response on the 2B for certain segments.

So, does anyone relate to this or feel something different? I am new to this so that is a variable too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ztim
Active

Re: Stereo/Audio Benchmark/Troubleshoot

Post by ztim »

I don't know why the images are so messed up.

The first one should just appear once, but is the second image. Then at the bottom the first one (first wavefor) is suppose to be first and she last (two waveforms) is last...
Stimaddict
Active Developer

Post by Stimaddict »

ztim wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:22 am What do you expect from certain files/waveforms and what do you feel?
[...}
So, does anyone relate to this or feel something different? I am new to this so that is a variable too.
Ok, so what you are talking about here are two different but very similar things - SENSATION and PERCEPTION.

We use estim to stimulate our sexual nerves, but no two people are exactly alike. So what one person perceives as pain can feel delightful to someone else. That is a matter of individual perception, although generally we all agree about what feels nice and what feels nasty. Fortunately the 2B allows us to adjust the output to suit a wide range of different needs and perceptions.

Next comes the other anomaly - NO TWO STIM SESSIONS ARE EXACTLY ALIKE. You can have your best stim session one day and repeat it EXACTLY a couple of days later yet it does not quite feel the same. Maybe it's better, maybe it's no so good, but it's not exactly the same - WTF, why?

Several reasons for this, mainly that despite your best efforts your genitals always refuse to play the game. I guess that's down to nature. With experience, practice and experimentation you learn how to 'tune' your sexual nerves so they work the way *you* want them to. As always experiment, experiment, experiment!

TIMING is also important. Some lucky people (mainly younger ones) can stim several times a day. I wish I could. The rest of us find that stimming too frequently leads to a less satisfactory experience. For me that means leaving *at least* a couple of days between sessions to get the best out of it. Sometimes, if I've been overdoing it, I will abstain for a week to give my junk a well deserved rest :cry:

For each individual stim session ACCLIMATIZATION is essential. This means giving your sexual nerves a chance to 'warm up' and acclimatize to the electro-stimulation you are pumping through them.

You mentioned my BASTARD stimfile. I would *never* start a session with that, and warn against it. Typically my stim sessions begin in THROB mode for 15-20 minutes, *gradually* increasing the power over that period. Then I might move on to Waterfall mode for a few minutes, again gradually increasing the power. Only then would I start using stimfiles in Stereo mode because my sexual nerves have, by then, become acclimatized, and even so I would still start low before gradually increasing the power to higher levels.
Last edited by Stimaddict on Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Switcher81
Active

Post by Switcher81 »

Hi!

I have to agree with you: Sometimes I would expect different sensations from what I see in the audio waves. I assume this is mainly due to a moving average that the device implements. It certainly does also other processings, but a significant low-pass filter seems to be there.

Cheers!
ztim
Active

Post by ztim »

Okay so update! I think I figured out the issues. Basically, it comes down to having a reliable player and raw settings.

So 1) turning off all sound modifying effects, like Dolby or anything else in windows itself
2) turn out the audio jack on my laptop is a poor connection, completely random if I can get a good connection on it. I ended up buying a cheep but solid portable DAC which works perfectly. The one I got was a Dragonfly black. Do recommend.

Hope this helps others.
Stimaddict
Active Developer

Post by Stimaddict »

ztim wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:02 am So 1) turning off all sound modifying effects, like Dolby or anything else in windows itself
Yes that seems to be a common problem when using a computer as an audio device. Pleased to see you got it sorted.