optimal power level when playing audio ?

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
Deltus1
Active Developer

optimal power level when playing audio ?

Post by Deltus1 »

Hello to all,

With audio files I always find that they often require a very different power level.
I do this by running the file briefly and watching the 2B's power meter. I try to set the controllers so that the display shows up to about 3/4.

But it happens again and again that in the course of the file unexpected passages occur for which the power setting is too high.
Is there a way to avoid this without first running through the entire file while observing the power display?

Thanks for any ideas.

Deltus

Greetings Deltus

---
DeepL helps me with the translation.
admin
Site Admin

Re: optimal power level when playing audio ?

Post by admin »

Generally no. Because the output is driven by the input with a little help from the controls, this is something you are going to have from time to time, even broadcast TV or YouTube actually have the same issue - some people generate their audio at different levels.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
Stimaddict
Active Developer

Post by Stimaddict »

Problem is that some audio stimfiles may require more volume/power while others need less, it just depends on the individual file and its amplitude set when it was created. The only way to fix this is to change the amplitude of the file, or sections within, using an audio editor then save as a new file. Otherwise just keep adjusting the power manually.

For advice on using audio files in Stereo Mode see this post: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9670&p=14169#p14169

*************************************************************************************************************************************************
Just a reminder that *anyone* here is welcome to PM me for a download link to hundreds of free, shared mp3 stimfiles organized by author - some up to 4 hours long!
I cannot post the link here out of respect for this forum's Admin and board rules regarding direct links to other people's work.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Unlimited access to the Stimfile Archive with No fees, No registration required, No ads, No catches, No expiry date and No hidden motives.
Switcher81
Active

Post by Switcher81 »

Hi!

I know this problem, too. However, it is not only a matter of the "audio level", ie the max amplitude, but also the frequency content. I had an intense moment with the wave form shown in the screen shot attached. At the moment when the decending lines in the spectrogram appeared, the intensity became too high and I had to dial the levels down (yes, I have been already on a very high level). This happened even though the wave had the same maximum amplitude before this point.

The 2B apparently does do some audio processing, since it seems to be created for normal music input. But this is exactly the reason why I really would like to know the algorithm behind the conversion from input to output. But this is a business secret of E-Stim Systems.

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StereoStim
Active

Post by StereoStim »

From my investigations it looks like the 2B applies a low pass filter somewhere above 1000Hz. I have not detected output level change when sweeping 100Hz to 1000Hz, but when sweeping between 1000 and 4000Hz significant output levels are observed.
Have fun with audio served by E-Stereo.com