Audio input 2B vs 312b or ET232

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
estim_si
Staff

Audio input 2B vs 312b or ET232

Post by estim_si »

titusbl wrote:Hello

I sincerely believe that the ET312 is much better materially than the 2B, if only the possibility of controlling the audio and the data at the same time.
I appreciate its fine control and measured as the audio input setting and the progressiveness of the output volume on ET312.
But the lack of an official program worthy of the name makes me choose 2B for remote control.
Locally I like to have control with the mouse with the 2. :)
It’s a case of choice. We made different design decisions with the 2B, based on our experiences and play. we didn’t just copy a 312, we based out design on our experiences. Some people prefer the 312, some people prefer the 2B. The 2B is supported and still being updated with new firmware the 312 isn’t.

You are also comparing something that weights twice as much, is twice as big and costs for many double the price of a 2B, So a direct comparison is generally moot in so many ways, and what is important to one is meaningless to another.

Si

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beem2713
Active

Re: Audio input 2B vs 312b or ET232

Post by beem2713 »

The weight and size comparison is pointless, the 312 has a battery built in, the 2B does not (discounting the pointless 9v battery) which by your own admissions is pretty much useless. The problem I have with the 2B is it changes dramatically what an audio file creator made, completely masking subtle details from an audio file. The rest of the preset waves in there are ok but somewhat unimaginative.
It's a great base for a real development project and I'm sure over time it will evolve into something great, it really does need the facility to output all of the information thats input to it, this latter point is why my 2B was sold 4 weeks after purchase.
I have found the physical size of the transformers used to make a significant difference to the quality of output, the size of the 2B is very compact but severely limits the choice of transformer, smaller cores being easily saturated.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

For some the weight and size is critical. So suggesting something is pointless is highly subjective and comes down to your personal opinion, to which many will disagree. Just because you don't like to use a feature does not mean others don't.

I'm not sure where we have ever said the 9v battery is pretty much useless... much of our personal play uses it, over 1/2 of our users certainly do and the power supply gives people more options. The 2B was never designed to work with standard stereostim files, we designed it work use to work with music and standard audio sources, hence the reason for a microphone.

The physical size of the transformers is irrelevant, the 312 actually has smaller transformers, but since we use a completely different drive system direct comparisons are irrelevant.

I do agree the 2B is a great platform that continues to grow, and will continue to be supported long into the future.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
Stimaddict
Active Developer

Post by Stimaddict »

beem2713 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:46 am The problem I have with the 2B is it changes dramatically what an audio file creator made, completely masking subtle details from an audio file.
This only affects certain stimffiles, or sections within them. See 'Why some stimfiles don't work so well on the 2B' - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9774&p=14762#p14762

For my part I'm very happy with the 2B's audio output. Here's what Eric from Erostek says:
beem2713
Active

Post by beem2713 »

I agree that it is unique for sure, its very different from all of the others.

With regards to the 9v battery, you guys on most occasions recommend the mains power stating it transforms the machine etc hence why I said it was useless and from most users that seems to be the consensus of opinion.

So yep, if you want to play music files then the 2B is great, if you want to use files meant for stimming the 2B can potentially mask a lot of detail.
Stimaddict
Active Developer

Post by Stimaddict »

Lack of stimfile definition in Stereo Mode is usually down to volume distortion. Try turning the volume down on your audio player and turning the power knobs up. The audio bars in the 2B's LCD display should be moving to just over 3/4 of the way across.
beem2713
Active

Post by beem2713 »

I did look at it and scoped the outputs, it wasnt saturating, when I tried really short signals from electron, no way did it appear on the output hence my experience that much is lost. The 2B with BASTARD is completely different experience to my home made stim box, much detail is gone, hence why I sold my 2B, im not interested in music files only proper stim files.
Vitoo69

Post by Vitoo69 »

Yeah, I've had the same issue. The 2B barely shows that any input from the stimfile is coming through. I have to crank the ipad or cellphone up to 90-100% output for the 2B to show anything on the indicator bars. Even then the stimulation is bland without variation. I've tried different devices, different patch cords, and lots of different stimfiles including Bastard, with no success. It seems the 2B doesn't really register any of the input.
beem2713
Active

Post by beem2713 »

A lot will depend on the content of the audio file. Short spiky sounds will be too quick for the 2B to respond (by design). Trying files between the 2B and my home designed box they are completely different. I reverted back to my own box and sold on my 2B. The 2B is a great unit and had some interesting routines but the lack of input to output without the 2B's interference was a deal breaker for me.
StereoStim
Active

Post by StereoStim »

beem2713 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:20 pm I also have a 2B, ET and several home made boxes with varying technology.

The 2B is very different to all of the others, it is a nice unit for sure but for me there is an issue. The 2B doesnt faithfully reproduce on the output what is applied to the input. This can be and is a good thing if youre trying stim to music tracks etc but it's a hinderance when using a bespoke stim file. The DSP masks some of the finer detail therefore changing the experience completely, lots of detail has gone missing in action. The other boxes I have do follow the audio input accurately, this can lead to some painful results! it does exactly what the stim file tells it to do.
Is the 2B the best? It is very good all rounder, it does help you avoid surprises but sometimes, surprises are a desirable aspect. If you dont have experience of other boxes, get a 2B, you wont be disappointed.
What is bespoke? developers of audio files develop what feels good for them on a particular device --- there is no stim file standard. That is why i developed the https://e-stereo.com audio server for stimming. You can adjust the action on the fly to your mood. All it is a ppc, laptop, tablet or mobile phone and an internet connection and is not time limited as an mp3 file.
Vitoo69 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:48 pm Yeah, I've had the same issue. The 2B barely shows that any input from the stimfile is coming through. I have to crank the ipad or cellphone up to 90-100% output for the 2B to show anything on the indicator bars. Even then the stimulation is bland without variation. I've tried different devices, different patch cords, and lots of different stimfiles including Bastard, with no success. It seems the 2B doesn't really register any of the input.
My experience with the 2B and iPad is that 80 to 90% volume is equal to the maximum signal of an mp3 and not overdriving or saturating the 2B. If you do not get sufficient signal then the stim file lacks volume or you may have a problem with the 2B. You can check it out on the e-stereo server link above as it gives a calibration signal of the maximum that a mp3 can produece.
Have fun with audio served by E-Stereo.com