Response time in stereo mode

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
StereoStim
Active

Post by StereoStim »

in designing stereo mp3 I am frustrated by the slow response of the 2B

My setup generates a constant tone (400 Hz) which is amplitude modulated.

When signal changes from silent to max volume, the 2B ramps up its response slowly.

Thus a 2Hz (2 on off periods every second) amplitude modulate 400Hz input feels like a low level stimulation. (come on, when you mastrubate you have stroke repetition in excess of two per second , yet the 2B does not want to allow this :o :x )

At 1Hz one starts to feel the alternating simulation at a higher level and at say 0.25hz (2 seconds on 2 seconds off) the 2B starts starts simulating at its maximum set level.

This slow response time overrides the effects I want to achieve, how can this be improved

Have fun with audio served by E-Stereo.com
estim_si
Staff

Re: Response time in stereo mode

Post by estim_si »

It cannot at the moment. As has been mentioned a few times the stereo mode is not designed to be used with monotonal sources, so basically you are asking it to do something it wasn’t designed for.

If you want specific waveforms and timings consider using the digital link and Commander.

Si

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StereoStim
Active

Post by StereoStim »

estim_si wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:35 am It cannot at the moment. As has been mentioned a few times the stereo mode is not designed to be used with monotonal sources, so basically you are asking it to do something it wasn’t designed for.
You have not understood my comment. As for your reply I have to disagree. Here is a 20 second mp3 https://qlnk.me/fm-100-to-800-herz-mp3 that sweeps between 100 and 800 hz. Listening to it you may get super excited as it sounds good and you are looking forward for a real bang but you will be mightily disappointed as the 2B will output a steady stimulations.

All that I am asking is that the 2B responds quicker to a step increase instead of ramping from zero to the set output power relatively slow.
beem2713
Active

Post by beem2713 »

This is exactly what I found too, I scoped the output and played around with e l e c t r o n, short pain signals were completely masked by the 2B, not so by my 312 or my home made box. Using electron if you put say 20 pulses at 0.1 on, 0.2 between pulses the output of the 2B is zero, you feel nothing. The same pulses into my home made box would lift you off the chair LOL. It seems that the guys at ESTIM have designed the 2B to protect users from undesirable results when playing audio tracks not designed for estim, I can understand their ethos but for me it was a deal breaker and I sold on my 2B.

Their software allegedly gets rid of this issue, I didn't try it, my own doing what wanted. Consider making your own unit, quite simple really and in my view puts you back in direct control.
estim_si
Staff

Post by estim_si »

StereoStim wrote:
estim_si wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:35 am It cannot at the moment. As has been mentioned a few times the stereo mode is not designed to be used with monotonal sources, so basically you are asking it to do something it wasn’t designed for.
You have not understood my comment. As for your reply I have to disagree. Here is a 20 second mp3 https://qlnk.me/fm-100-to-800-herz-mp3 that sweeps between 100 and 800 hz. Listening to it you may get super excited as it sounds good and you are looking forward for a real bang but you will be mightily disappointed as the 2B will output a steady stimulations.

All that I am asking is that the 2B responds quicker to a step increase instead of ramping from zero to the set output power relatively slow.
Firstly it’s the 2B, not the 2B. Secondly I designed it, so I can tell you exactly what I designed it to do :-)

Si

zapni
Active

Post by zapni »

Is the "smoothing" effect applied in stereo mode, implemented in software/firmware or could be modified via the software/firmware?
estim_si
Staff

Post by estim_si »

zapni wrote:Is the "smoothing" effect applied in stereo mode, implemented in software/firmware or could be modified via the software/firmware?
The software running on the 2B IS the firmware. And we generally don’t discuss exactly what we do internally or how we do it, but I will say the response of the 2B is a combination of hardware and software (which I think, is what you tried to ask initially)

Si

zapni
Active

Post by zapni »

estim_si wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:52 am
zapni wrote:Is the "smoothing" effect applied in stereo mode, implemented in software/firmware or could be modified via the software/firmware?
The software running on the 2B IS the firmware. And we generally don’t discuss exactly what we do internally or how we do it, but I will say the response of the 2B is a combination of hardware and software (which I think, is what you tried to ask initially)

Si

Yeah, not really all that sure why I wrote "software/firmware" instead of just "firmware".

I guess I am wondering, if the 2B is capable of creating these sharp/quicker spikes in power, if the firmware were written to perform that way.

You mentioned:

"If you want specific waveforms and timings consider using the digital link and Commander."

Are you saying, using for example commander session files, you could make the 2B create those quicker spikes in power? Prevent that "ramping up" effect?

Thanks for your response :-)
MisterO

Post by MisterO »

Found Something in the Manual:

The adjust control allows you to change the speed of the response of the stereo system, indicated
by the third value. A low value gives a quick sharp response, a higher values gives a smoother
response.

Isnt this what you are looking for? Or did I fail in understanding?
StereoStim
Active

Post by StereoStim »

MisterO wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:29 am Found Something in the Manual:

The adjust control allows you to change the speed of the response of the stereo system, indicated
by the third value. A low value gives a quick sharp response, a higher values gives a smoother
response.

Isnt this what you are looking for? Or did I fail in understanding?
My 2B version 2.106 does not work that way, adjust only changes the feel (rounder at 2 to sharp at 100 if I can describe it that way) but not response time as the manual describes it, similar to the [Select}+(Adjust) settings of the standard 2B programs. Pressing [Select] and turning (Adjust) does not change anything in Strereo mode.