2B Failure/Repair

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
GHHoss
Active

2B Failure/Repair

Post by GHHoss »

On Monday, July 12, I bricked my 2B. At the time it happened, I was being driven using E-Stim Connect. It was only the second time being driven and the first-time using E-Stim Connect. After several minutes, the display started flashing which, I think, indicates the 2B is being over-driven by the input. I should say that I was running the beta 2.121 FW and the associated beta E-Stim Connect but I’m not sure that’s why this failure happened.

When the display started flashing, I picked up the 2B to check things. It was fairly warm. I should have stopped the driving session and let the 2B cool down but that’s hindsight. I remember feeling under the battery door to see if that was also warm but it seemed fine. Once the 2B failed, I thought I should check the battery – it was very hot.

This is not the first time I had seen the flashing display. A while back, I tried watching a video (with an e-stim soundtrack) using VLC as discussed in this post: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10893&p=21008#p21008 Obviously, when it happened on VLC, the 2B was connected with the audio cable. When it happened this time while using E-Stim Connect, the uplink cable was connected. I know the uplink cable supplies some power to the 2B in case the battery dies during a FW update but I had the power supply connected as usual.

I’ve dropped the 2B a couple times and pulled on the wires when moving around forgetting I was attached. I’ve probably made a few other novice mistakes as well. Whether or not any of that contributed to the ultimate failure, I don’t know. It would be nice to understand what caused the problem so I can avoid frying the internal components of the 2B again.

I really didn’t think I was using the 2B all that much but once it broke, I realized how much play time was devoted to e-stim. I have learned to be careful about when I use it because it always ends up being a longer session than I expect. If it’s evening time, there’s a good chance I’ll be up an hour past bedtime.

Having a forced break from e-stim is probably a good thing but I’ve really missed my 2B. In fact, I have wondered if I should get a second 2B as a hot backup but am having trouble justifying it. Those of you who have two 2B’s – I wonder if you have used them both at the same time or if that’s just a lot of fuss with an extra set of wires and controls to deal with?

Lastly, a big thank you E-Stim Systems!
ESS has an incredible lifetime guaranty. Be sure to have a copy of your purchase receipt to prove ownership. When I e-mailed ESS, I got a quick reply. I am on the other side of the planet from England so the time difference added about 12 hours to each e-mail response but it was as timely as possible. Mick offered a UPS return solution that made the whole process much easier – triplicate customs forms only required my signature and all I had to do was pack up the 2B to drop off at a UPS location. The package was delivered to ESS on a Wednesday morning and was back in the post by Thursday afternoon. Spectacular service!

Stimaddict
Active Developer

Re: 2B Failure/Repair

Post by Stimaddict »

GHHoss wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:02 pm I have wondered if I should get a second 2B as a hot backup but am having trouble justifying it. Those of you who have two 2B’s – I wonder if you have used them both at the same time or if that’s just a lot of fuss with an extra set of wires and controls to deal with?
I have a pair of 2B's for several reasons. Firstly it's down to greed. I love my 2B so much why settle for just one? One 2B makes me happy. Two 2B's makes me happy and secure coz I know there is always a back up on hand. TBH I'm even thinking about getting a third. I cannot really justify that in any way - other than pure, utter GREED!

Second reason is because I can keep two different firmware versions, v2.106 (still my fave) on one and v2.121B beta on the other. That way I can do side-by-side comparisons, fun experiments and different play scenarios.

And thirdly I do occasionally use them both together. Variety is the spice of life and, when I'm feeling adventurous, having two 2B's working in tandem on my body is like an ecstatic Ménage à Trois :o
Deltus1
Active Developer

Re: 2B Failure/Repair

Post by Deltus1 »

Stimaddict wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:56 am
GHHoss wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:02 pm I have wondered if I should get a second 2B as a hot backup but am having trouble justifying it. Those of you who have two 2B’s – I wonder if you have used them both at the same time or if that’s just a lot of fuss with an extra set of wires and controls to deal with?

And thirdly I do occasionally use them both together. Variety is the spice of life and, when I'm feeling adventurous, having two 2B's working in tandem on my body is like an ecstatic Ménage à Trois :o
I find that very interesting to use two 2B!
How do you place the electrodes and the wiring?
What modes / audio files do you use?

I have often thought that 4 channels would be an enrichment, preferably with 4-channel audio. But to realise that would require studio audio equipment in addition to 2 power boxes, or does anyone have any other ideas?

Deltus
Greetings Deltus

---
DeepL helps me with the translation.