Experimental android app

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
LondonSubNigel
Active Developer

Experimental android app

Post by LondonSubNigel »

I've been playing, again, so here's an experimental Android app that will talk to both my own Estim Control/Server and to Commander2:

eStim for Android

Nigel.

LondonSubNigel
Active Developer

Re: Experimental android app

Post by LondonSubNigel »

I've updated this app to version 2 now, which has a second screen allowing you to save up to six favourite eStim settings.

Each can be recalled either as a direct setting for the box, a 2 or 5 seconds jolt (handy for training), or set to increase from zero over 30 or 60 seconds.

It also now has support for Bluetooth remote control of the 2B, but that's not much use to anyone else right now...
LondonSubNigel
Active Developer

Post by LondonSubNigel »

Another update today; you can now step through the favourites you've saved in the app, and a handy 'Boost' button will increase levels over a time period - eg press to slowly increase by 5 on each channel over the next 30 seconds.
LondonSubNigel
Active Developer

Post by LondonSubNigel »

For devices with Android 3.1 or higher, if you get a USB On The Go Adaptor (this one works with my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7) you can plug the official E-Stim cable into the adaptor, and directly control the 2B from your android device, though I've not yet put this version on my website - shout if you want to experiment with it.

Nigel
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

That program is Awesome Nigel!

it runs well on a stock up to date asus TF300T (in forced portrait mode) - an sometimes had some java warnings on a Milestone2 with JB Cyanogenmod
but i was wondering, is it possible or hard to program to add a server to your program? (so you can control it with another android phone)

if you see my point : ) 2B connected to OTG droid, in small pouch, and remote controlled by network ?
LondonSubNigel
Active Developer

Post by LondonSubNigel »

Thanks; yep, it only supports portrait so far, because I've been too lazy to work out the alternative layouts for landscape.

I'm thinking of adding server functionality too, so any suggestions of what you'd like to see would be welcome.

How are you connecting? The direct USB support does seem to vary a lot between phones; I tried an HTC One S and that won't support USB for anything except charging, on the stock firmware.

My to do list has a few things on it at the moment:

• Bluetooth server, so you can control over a short range with another android device
• TCP/IP server, so you can control via WiFi (most unlikely this could be made to work reliably over a cell network)
• SMS server, so you can trigger favourites by text commands

Which would you find most useful?
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Hi Nigel!

Just through network within the same wifi network, but i must try with the TF300T's dock keyboard and i will buy an OTG cable for my Milestone 2, i can tell you once tested : )
i was wondering.. i saw you can control the box by bluetooth? how do you do that? is there an adapter somewhere?

the best feature would be controllable by bluetooth so a custom made adapter connected to the 2B is not needed

over network, well, if you can choose the port it "might" be accessible through GSM network (for exemple, in France, orange block SSH (22)... so i simply pass through 2222... which works)
i thought of bluetooth because, the person in control of the remote when doing something portable as just a phone+cable+box in a little bag, is never far, as walking around with ; )
electroscott

Post by electroscott »

Thanks for the Android App. This can come in handy. I really appreciate all your hard work in getting this started.

I have an Asus Infinity TF700T tablet w/ Keyboard dock. The keyboard dock has USB host support. It successfully runs your Android app with the E-Stim Systems USB dongle plugged in. When I connect the 2B, it is recognized. Once in a while, I am able to get it to connect and I can push the up/down buttons to make it increase/decrease the channel b, for example, amplitude. When I'd try and move the slider, the first time it worked slightly until it reached about 55, then stopped communicating. After that, I have been unable to get the program to connect directly.

When I manually go in to USB settings, if I don't select anything for "host name" and "port number" I get error messages regarding parsing the empty number fields.

I decided to try the server version of Commander with the Android via the internet. My workstation is set to 192.168.1.10 (fixed) and the port I chose was the default at 8888. I select "web server" from commander and return to the Android tablet and enter these parameters along with "internet" for the connection type. I press "okay" and then hit the button to go online. I get an error saying:

"An error has occurred in sub:main_vvvvvvvvvvv6 (java line:1678) java.lang.NumberFormatException: Invalid double: "2B Commander (2.1.24) Content-Length" Continue?

As you can guess, I'm running Commander V2.1.24.

I'm providing this information only in the hopes that it will help you find issues in your future endeavours. I'm not pushing for you to fix anything, but I find that sometimes a little feedback for people who have tablets, for example, who are testing things makes it easier.

Again, I appreciate your efforts and am not criticizing or demanding anything.

Best regards,
--Scott
LondonSubNigel
Active Developer

Post by LondonSubNigel »

Use the other mode in Commander, rather than the built on web server - my app talks the estimate protocol directly, rather than either of the web versions of it.
LondonSubNigel
Active Developer

Post by LondonSubNigel »

I've updated the app to provide for bluetooth links between two Android devices, one of which is directly connected to the 2B. Here's a summary:

Version 4: remote control

One of the issues with Bluetooth control was that you'd have to make a special adaptor to control the unit. Version 4 should address that - as long as you have two Android devices, one of which works with a direct USB connection to the 2B. Here's how it works:

• Make sure both devices have Bluetooth turned on, and are paired with each other

• Connect one device directly to the 2B via the USB cable and adaptor; make sure the settings on this device are set to 'USB'

• Check the connection is ok, by tapping 'Online' on the directly connected device, and controlling the eStim unit.

• Now, tap the menu, and select the option 'BT server on/off'; you'll see a message appear telling you that the app is listening for Bluetooth connections

• On the other device, go to the Settings option on the menu, and select Bluetooth as the connection type. Select the first device when it appears in the list of BT devices that have been found (and if it's not found, make sure the first one is visible). You only need to do this once, as the selected device will be rememberd.

• Now, on this second device, you can tap the Online button and a connection will be established to the first one. Either one can control the eStim 2B.

A typical scenario for this would be in a club, or in public - one person can have the 2B and an Android device somewhere in their clothing, listening for connections. The other can control it remotely via Bluetooth from their own Android phone or tablet.