Motion sensor for 2B?

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
captain.chaos

Motion sensor for 2B?

Post by captain.chaos »

Hi

Being a bit of a dimwhit I posted this question in the Series 2 section... Doh!!!

I'm thinking of buying the 2B unit, is there a motion sensor trigger for the 2B unit? I want use both audio & motion triggers (not always at the same time), but I don't want to buy two boxes.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Captain Chaos.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Motion sensor for 2B?

Post by admin »

There isn't yet, but we are working on a plug in motion sensor module for the 2B.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
LondonSubNigel
Active Developer

Post by LondonSubNigel »

And, thought it won't work with audio, one of the next things on my list for the android control software is a trigger based on the device movement.
captain.chaos

Post by captain.chaos »

Hi

Thanks for the info. It looks as if I'll be buying a 2b, soon!

Being the resourceful type, I saw this, Spynet laser trip wire. (http://www.gizmag.com/spynet-laser-trip ... tem/20026/) I think that I can position the laser tripwire close to the body so if the person moves they will break the infrared beam and set the audible alarm off, triggering the audio unit through the microphone. It won't be as good as a Doppler motion sensor built for the 2B unit though.

Cheers

Pete
LondonSubNigel
Active Developer

Post by LondonSubNigel »

I'm now experimenting with motion control, using the accelerometer in the android device. This is what the software side of it looks like:

The first thing you have to do is calibrate the sensor for a range of movement - even with a device sitting on a flat surface, the accelerometer reading will tend to vary, so the Calibrate button captures ten seconds of readings. Once done, anything outside that range will trigger a movement event, if the 'Motion' control is turned on.

That has the side effect that you can allow a limited range of movement - for example, put the phone on someone's body, then calibrate, and the normal movement of breathing etc will be taken into account. A trigger will happen only if they move more than that.

The pop up in the middle of the screen lets you select one of the favourites stored in the software, and the choices below are for either a two second or a five second jolt.

If anyone's brave enough to try this, let me know... this is a first attempt at motion detection.
LatexKing

Post by LatexKing »

That's great news.
I will be very happy to try the new version.
Please let me know how I can try it out.

Thanks!
LK
birdburdy
Active Developer

Post by birdburdy »

I'm up for trying this. Actually I've been making my own motion sensor which uses an arduino with an accelerometer.
Unofficial Python API for the E-Stim 2B: https://github.com/fredhatt/estim2bapi
Generating sounds in Python: https://github.com/fredhatt/estimsoundsynth
LatexKing

Post by LatexKing »

@birdburdy - although it sounds like a whole lots of fun as DIY project, I think you'll find it hard to beat the Android solution,
it's almost fully ready made for us - a small device, packed with all the sensors you can dream of, has all the communication option, ready made
programing interface etc.
Nigel's app works well, you can see my detailed post on smartstim. I'm very hopeful he can implement soon a solution that tests the magnitude of
the combined acceleration vector, as right now it is mostly sensitive to change of orientation in regard to the gravity acceleration. Again, see my mentioned
post for details.

take care.
LK
neo80
Active Developer

Post by neo80 »

LondonSubNigel wrote: and the choices below are for either a two second or a five second jolt.
Maybe a slider from 0.1 sec to 10 seconds would be better. ;)
birdburdy
Active Developer

Post by birdburdy »

neo80 wrote:
LondonSubNigel wrote: and the choices below are for either a two second or a five second jolt.
Maybe a slider from 0.1 sec to 10 seconds would be better. ;)
Just to provide feedback on the motion-sensor jolt setting of the android app, the 2 second feature is very limited since the output seems to be smoothed and 2s often isn't long enough for the device to reach the desired output level.

5s on the other hand is a bit too long, maybe 3.5s would be good?
Unofficial Python API for the E-Stim 2B: https://github.com/fredhatt/estim2bapi
Generating sounds in Python: https://github.com/fredhatt/estimsoundsynth