Feedback about 2.104 modes versus 2.09 modes

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Feedback about 2.104 modes versus 2.09 modes

Post by admin »

The changes on the 2.09 to 2.104 were actually timing related, so adjusting the timing controls may give you, as has been pointed out above, an experience closer to what you originally had with 2.09.

Si

E-Stim Systems Ltd
Roamer
Active

Post by Roamer »

admin wrote: There are no 'broken modes' on the 2B. To say you have similar results to the original poster is hard to understand, as a new 2B would have 2.104, so comparing it to 2.09 would be very hard. All the modes on the 2B are fully operational and work - a couple of the modes perform slightly differently to 2.09 which is the original issue.

Some modes need to have levels set and adjustments made to feel what you are expecting - and it might not be what you are expecting - the 2B is not a ET312 clone. For example the training mode does cause confusion as each step is a % of the level set, so having the level set to 10% would give very small steps which you might not feel, setting it to 30% would increase the size of the steps. Tickle also causes angst as it is only operational when you adjust the adjust knob, and the level is set high enough to feel.

Si
When I said that I had similar results to the original poster I was assuming his comments were about firmware 2.104 which is what I have. I know I can't compare it to 2.09 but i can say that my preliminary observations about 2.104 seem to be in line withe the posters impressions of 2.104. I feel that his descriptions of how the unit works reflects my own experience. I can't of course compare to 2.09 as you correctly point out.

The reference to modes being "broken" may be wrong. What I meant is that a couple of the modes seem to be no different from continuous despite making changes to the settings. Certainly on the default settings I can't tell the difference for those modes. If I should be able to tell a difference even on default then perhaps my unit is defective (although other modes seem to work well and to work as expected so I am doubting there is anything wrong with it). I have had better luck using audio files since my original post so that does seem to be just a learning curve with settings etc. When I say better luck I do mean better!

I also didn't mean my post to sound like a complaint. I am overall quite satisfied with the unit. I realize its not supposed to be a ET312 and that is not what I was expecting or wanting. I wanted something different and this is what the unit has delivered. I also very much like the smaller form factor and the other features (such as controlling with a computer). I did post my observations as I thought the feedback might be useful to you in your development of the unit.

So you can mark me down as a satisfied customer.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Excellent!!! I didn't take it as a complaint, just some very useful feedback. Feedback is always welcome as it allows us to constantly work on improving things - there is no such thing as a 'perfect' box, there is always room for improvement. It is one of the reasons we run the forum and listen to people who post positive and negative experiences - we don't delete a post if its not 100% praise, we always try to resolve the issues raised, and publish the results for all to see.

Different modes will always feel different at different levels, and once the user understands that sensation is not just about level or 'power', the pleasures that a box can give from varying waveforms becomes apparent.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
Chargedcircuit

Post by Chargedcircuit »

I have been following this thread and decided to add my voice to the discontent over the current firmware.

I bought a Series 2B in October 2012 so it would have come with the 2.103 firmware. I thought it was more than great, it was brilliant. In April 2014 after the firmware upgrade to 2.104 the 2B worked exactly the same as before, except with one notable exception the output was now harsh and spiky and no amount of 'knob twiddling', (pun intended), will correct it, where as before it was smooth and sensuous.

It seems to me that regardless of what version of firmware was previously installed, or any other differences between firmware versions, upgrading to version 2.104 is doing something funny to the output. Though peoples interpretation is different, the recurring theme is that it is more harsh than before. If from the information on the website V2.103 is the same as V2.104 then would it not be a simple case of comparing the two sets of code to see if some unintentional change had taken place in the changeover.

While I appreciate that these problems do occur it is 9 months since the issue was raised and in the 15 months I have owned the 2B, I have spent 6 months with a 2B I was more than satisfied with and 9 months with one that is frankly a bit rubbish. Not only that but a user cannot upgrade the firmware without paying an extra £50 so I feel I have paid for the privilege of spoiling it, and if I had not, I would still be a HAPPY BUNNY, blissfully unaware of any problems others were having.

I MISS MY 2B AND WANT IT BACK! :(
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chargedcircuit wrote:I have been following this thread and decided to add my voice to the discontent over the current firmware.

I bought a Series 2B in October 2012 so it would have come with the 2.103 firmware. I thought it was more than great, it was brilliant. In April 2014 after the firmware upgrade to 2.104 the 2B worked exactly the same as before, except with one notable exception the output was now harsh and spiky and no amount of 'knob twiddling', (pun intended), will correct it, where as before it was smooth and sensuous.
I would suggest that you actually had 2.09, not 2.103. The problem is the issues with the firmware in terms of sensation that have been reported were from 2.09 to 2.103 or 2.104. No changes were made to the program code of 2.103 to 2.104, apart from the addition of the boot loader code.
It seems to me that regardless of what version of firmware was previously installed, or any other differences between firmware versions, upgrading to version 2.104 is doing something funny to the output. Though peoples interpretation is different, the recurring theme is that it is more harsh than before. If from the information on the website V2.103 is the same as V2.104 then would it not be a simple case of comparing the two sets of code to see if some unintentional change had taken place in the changeover.
Simple in theory, but not in practice, as a number of changes were made to solve the issues with 2.09, as well as add the additional functionality of the firmware update system. Fixing the harshesss issue raised with 2.104, might bring back the 'cannot exit a mode' issue that leads to the issue sometimes reported with 2.1034 - the section of code needs a rewrite, but it effects other sections and the issues then snowball - this is what is happening and is why testing and re-writing is taking so long. I am working on an update, but I have to take my time as to ensure that we don't cause any further issues - if we early release 2.105, then we have issues with something else - and I will point out that the vast majority of users have not reported issues with 2.104 - it has been in full production since early 2013.
While I appreciate that these problems do occur it is 9 months since the issue was raised and in the 15 months I have owned the 2B, I have spent 6 months with a 2B I was more than satisfied with and 9 months with one that is frankly a bit rubbish. Not only that but a user cannot upgrade the firmware without paying an extra £50 so I feel I have paid for the privilege of spoiling it, and if I had not, I would still be a HAPPY BUNNY, blissfully unaware of any problems others were having.
We can drop a unit back down to 2.09, but it is a hardware change, which requires a return to the workshop, and you will then have to go throughout the upgrade process again to get back to 2.105 etc etc.

Things are beginning to move a lots faster now, as we are actively working on fixing the 2B issues, and getting some useful feedback from our test team - but at least with 2.104, you will be able to update as soon as we release the next code snippets - which should be (I hope!!) in the next few weeks rather than months.

Si

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
Chargedcircuit

Post by Chargedcircuit »

Thank you for the reply.
admin wrote:
Chargedcircuit wrote: I bought a Series 2B in October 2012 so it would have come with the 2.103 firmware. I thought it was more than great, it was brilliant. In April 2014 after the firmware upgrade to 2.104 the 2B worked exactly the same as before, except with one notable exception the output was now harsh and spiky and no amount of 'knob twiddling', (pun intended), will correct it, where as before it was smooth and sensuous

I would suggest that you actually had 2.09, not 2.103. The problem is the issues with the firmware in terms of sensation that have been reported were from 2.09 to 2.103 or 2.104. No changes were made to the program code of 2.103 to 2.104, apart from the addition of the boot loader code. .
So you are saying though the 2.103 firmware was released at the beginning of 2012 and I quote from Twitter, '21/03/12 #2B now shipping with 2.103 code!!!, that I was sent a 2B in October 2012 with 2.09 firmware???
No I am not saying that. I am stating that there has been no change to the output code of a 2B from 2.103 to 2.104, just the addition of the new update system. I agreed that there was a change on the output drive code to go from 2.09 to 2.103, and all of the reports I have seen in relation to the comments over harshness are related to the 2.09 to 2.103/2.104 upgrade. If you have had harshness on going from 2.103 to 2.104 then I suggest the issue is not the same as the issue that other have reported with 2.09 to 2.104

Si
robertearl

Post by robertearl »

I have just upgraded my firmware from 2.09 to 2.104. The feedback from other users on the changes are correct.

I used to start feeling mild sensations with the power level set from 10 to 15 for all modes. After the upgrade, Throb and Thrust still start having mild sensations at around
10 to 15 while ALL of the other modes do not start till I have turned the level up to 30 or 40. It is a very noticeable change and one that I find hard to believe that you did not
notice if you used the equipment yourself.

It would be nice to get the level for all of the other modes back to the levels that existed in 2.09 if possible. It appears that what ever you did to fix Throb and Thrust effected
all of the other modes.

Robertearl
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Firstly I do use the equipment myself, and have done since day one since I am the designer and I write most of the code, as well as running the rest of the business. We also have an active test team who do regularly report back problems and ideas that they have found during their own play - obviously not everyone plays in the same way so we always listen to as many people as we can.

Level shifting-the fact that different modes appear to have had their minimum values shifted up from where they were with 2.09 was known, but was never considered to be an issue and in fact most people, even those who have commented negatively regarding 2.104 have never seemed that bothered it. The fact that sensation begins at 15 instead of 6 is only going to cause an issue if you are using the whole range of output level (0% to 100%), something that generally most people don't seem to do.

Before anyone complains 2.105 IS going to have changes to levels (i.e. level shifting). Why? Because we are rewriting some of the code to try and eliminate some of the issues that people have mentioned on 2.09/2.104 we have had to rewrite extensive sections of code. Most of the modes on a 2B do have some common elements in particular the output system and related levels so if we make a change to the output system then a number of modes are affected.

At least with 2.105, we can't get any worse; if you don't like 2.105 then you will be able to downgrade to 2.104. (And don't forget if you're prepared to do a chip replacement, then you can downgrade to 2.09 if you wish.)

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
tumblrjoeb
Active

Post by tumblrjoeb »

Hi,

Any news on when the new version will be out?

Regards

Joe
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm working on it again- we have had a couple of Shows in the meantime so my eye has come off the ball so to speak, and we have just released 3 new cock toys, the Vyper2, Vyper XL and Python, but I'm now back on coding, but it is going to be released in bits. 2.104 is stable, yes it is different to 2.09, but it is stable, consistent and doesn't cause issues when updating.

The first plan is a single mode with the new drive system to see what the test team then the public think. Test it, and then revert back to 2.104.

We should also have a minor bug fix on Commander out very soon.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd