Rechargeable battery for 2B?

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
mrbutt89
Active Developer

Rechargeable battery for 2B?

Post by mrbutt89 »

Hi. I usually run the 2B off the mains via the adaptor, but there are times when I run it on battery power instead.

I'm wondering whether it might be more cost-effective for me to use a rechargeable 9v battery rather than keep buying new ones.

Is this recommended? If so, what specification should I be looking for in a rechargeable battery? (There are so many different power ratings available, and I don't want to get the wrong one.)

chestinut
Active

Re: Rechargeable battery for 2B?

Post by chestinut »

I run mine on an external 12v 3A sealed lead acid battery from screwfix:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sealed-lead-a ... 34mm/21478

I included a 1.5A fuse and plug it into the external power supply socket.
Regards

Paul
mrbutt89
Active Developer

Post by mrbutt89 »

Thanks, Paul, but I want one that fits into the battery compartment. Otherwise I might just as well hook up to the mains.
LondonSubNigel
Active Developer

Post by LondonSubNigel »

I've never tried a rechargeable in my 2B, but don't many of them have a slightly lower max voltage than the equivalents? Also, if it is only occasional use, I wonder if a rechargable would end up always being in the wrong state, or poorly conditioned, through not being stored in the right state, or discharged/recharged often enough. Although memory effect isn't such an issue these days with most, life can be considerably shortened in other ways.

When I put a battery in my 2B, I've had very good results with a Lithium one, which has a different discharge curve, compared to alkaline.
mrbutt89
Active Developer

Post by mrbutt89 »

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll try a lithium one next time.
electroscott

Post by electroscott »

I use an external 3S LiFePO4 battery (9.6V nominal). Capacity is 3 Ah and lasts practically forever. Not as convenient as built-in lithium 9V but very portable, as it's a flat pack. Much more portable than AC mains. Enjoy ;)
Chris
Active

Post by Chris »

Hi, I am currently using a LiPo battery pack with 11.1V. It fits in the battery compartment of the 2B without any modifications and lasts a very long time.
Especially I use cells with a size of 50x30x5 mm, so the total height is 15mm. I bought these here: http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/NDcwOTI3OT ... 0_mAh.html
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you considering using LiPo, the remember the issues with over charging, over discharging, dropping them and more http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
mrbutt89
Active Developer

Post by mrbutt89 »

Thanks for all the useful advice. It looks as though LiPo might deliver what I want, but there are obviously a certain amount of issues to bear in mind.
Chris
Active

Post by Chris »

Of course there are some issues with LiPo batteries to consider.
My self-built pack does not have an integrated protection circuit, but it has a 4-pin balancer plug and I am using a balancer charger to charge it.

But there are some packs which already have protection PCBs, which protect the pack from over- and undercharging, short circuits and also act as balancer. These are of course a bit more expensive and you have to look for one which fits inside the battery compartment of the 2B.