Rechargeable battery for 2B?

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
boundnico
Active

Re: Rechargeable battery for 2B?

Post by boundnico »

I am using the 2B with a rechargeable 9V block battery and did not experience any problems so far. Works perfecly well!

The exact specifications:
* Product: "AccuCell 300 High Energy"
* High energy rechargeable NiMH 8.4V
* Up to max. 300 mAh (min 250 mAh)

I hope this information is useful for you.

Nico

mrbutt89
Active Developer

Post by mrbutt89 »

Thank, Nico. Looks worth investigating!
mrbob203

Post by mrbob203 »

Has anyone used the 2B with something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/XTPower-10000mAh- ... 00935L44E/

I had an Anker one a while ago that I used for my phone, but it looks like a number of manufacturers make identical looking packs like this. It has a 9V or 12V selectable output, and it should be simpler to use than a bare SLA or LiPo pack. I'm assuming if I set it to 12V and connect it to the DC in jack on the 2B, it should have output strength equivalent to if it was plugged into the AC adapter, correct?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hypothetically :-)

As the manufacturer we cannot condone the use of any accessories not manufactured by us, apart from electrodes, but we have to say that.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
mrbob203

Post by mrbob203 »

Fair enough. I'll test it out and see how it goes. Could you tell me what the dimensions of the DC barrel jack are? That battery comes with a number of adapters of varying sizes, so I'm hoping one of them will fit.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's a 2.1mm long connector, it's generally considered to be non standard but you might find one.
E-Stim Systems Ltd
Robbert

Post by Robbert »

I don't have a 2B but here is some general info about 9v batteries.
If you buy a battery the higher the capacity the longer it lasts.
9v disposable have a capacity between 400mAh and 1200mAH, rechargeable between 120mAh and 600mAh
Any of the disposable types will do.

Rechargeable "9 Volt" batteries are available in a few flavors: NiCd, NiMH, Lithium Polymer and Lithium-Ion.
NiCd and NiMH batteries are made of cells with a nominal voltage of 1.2V.
Depending on how many cells were used you have "9 Volt" batteries with a nominal voltage of 7.2, 8.4, and 9.6 Volt.
The 7.2V are most common and cheapest but crap if you want to power something like an e-stim box.
9.6V would be great (really hard to find and expensive) but 8.4V is just fine.
Unfortunately NiCd ones don't come in capacities larger than 150 mAh, NiMH ones have a capacity between 175mAh and 300mAh

Lithium Polymer and Lithium-Ion would be a better choice because they have a capacity up to 600mAh but I have not been able to find these types with a nominal voltage of more than 7.2v.

As boundnico suggested, if you want rechargeable look for a 8.4V NiMH battery with at least 250mAh and you'll be good.
If you do find a Lithium Polymer or Lithium-Ion with a nominal voltage of at least 8.4v, please let us know?
fabianbarrett

Post by fabianbarrett »

I have used this rechargeable battery with some success.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details :)
Chris
Active

Post by Chris »

As I have posted earlier I am using a 11.1 V, 950 mAh LiPo battery pack with the 2B. The first version consisted only of the 3 LiPo cells, now I have a overcharge, underdischarge, short-circuit protection and balancer board.
Of course the voltage is higher than 9V, but the external power supply of the 2B has 12V, thus it can handle the 11.1V (which are actually over 12V if fully charged). I had no problems with this battery except that the battery level indicator is useless (the protection circuit cuts off before the battery voltage drops down to 9V).
But I have been warned that using such a battery will void the warranty, so be warned too. I do not want to tempt you to use such a battery, I can only say that it lasts much longer than standard 9V batteries and the output power of the 2B is higher with this battery.
mrbob203

Post by mrbob203 »

mrbob203 wrote:Has anyone used the 2B with something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/XTPower-10000mAh- ... 00935L44E/

I had an Anker one a while ago that I used for my phone, but it looks like a number of manufacturers make identical looking packs like this. It has a 9V or 12V selectable output, and it should be simpler to use than a bare SLA or LiPo pack. I'm assuming if I set it to 12V and connect it to the DC in jack on the 2B, it should have output strength equivalent to if it was plugged into the AC adapter, correct?
If anyone else is curious, this does come with the required adapter, and works quite well with the 2B.