2B Audio File Advice

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
tumblrjoeb
Active

2B Audio File Advice

Post by tumblrjoeb »

I'd like to create my own custom programme with various patterns ranging from short pulses (like bounce) to longer bursts and so have had a go at creating my own audio files. I mainly use GarageBand to put together the tracks using 100 Hz test tones and then combine two tracks in audacity to get the file to play on my iPod.

I'm reasonably happy with the longer bursts however I can't get the shorter pulses right. I've tried changing the Adjust setting up and down however nothing allows me to get a short hit at the same intensity as the longer pulses.

I understand that the audio processing is doing quite a lot however it would be great to get some advice on how to achieve this.

Regards

Joe

admin
Site Admin

Re: 2B Audio File Advice

Post by admin »

Shorter hit at the same intensity? difficult. The issue is the sensation is actually caused by the transfer of energy, so a short pulse would need to haver a higher amplitude to match a longer pulse with a lower amplitude, however the audio processing will negate some of the effects, as we tried to remove the issues with short powerful elements of a song don't cause massive inadvertent shocks, so the current audio processing does smooth the shorter pulses out somewhat. So the suggestion is at the moment is experiment and possibly change the frequency of your base signals and see what happens.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
tumblrjoeb
Active

Post by tumblrjoeb »

Ok, understand the issue now. I guess this is why the milk and squeeze programmes seem to get less intense when the pulse shortens. I have a ElectraStim Flick Duo which has a programme that starts with short bursts and the bursts gradually get longer however the intensity stays the same regardless of the burst duration. It would be nice to replicate this on the 2B.

One thought I had for the audio processing is that you add a second mode without the smoothing which would be suitable for using with test tones to achieve a more controllable experience. Then people can choose between music and tone modes.

Joe
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tumblrjoeb wrote:Ok, understand the issue now. I guess this is why the milk and squeeze programmes seem to get less intense when the pulse shortens. I have a ElectraStim Flick Duo which has a programme that starts with short bursts and the bursts gradually get longer however the intensity stays the same regardless of the burst duration. It would be nice to replicate this on the 2B.
but the that wouldn't be milk or squeeze. The Flick Duo mode is more similar to a pulse mode with the duration changing over time, but I do get your point - I'm planning extra modes for the 2B so I will add it to the list.
One thought I had for the audio processing is that you add a second mode without the smoothing which would be suitable for using with test tones to achieve a more controllable experience. Then people can choose between music and tone modes.
There will always be the need for some smoothing, as we do need to tailor the output towards what the human body will feel, and also what to hardware will cater for, but there is are planned additional audio modes in the works with different levels of processing.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
tumblrjoeb
Active

Post by tumblrjoeb »

Just noticed in the new Beta change log that you have added a Fast Audio mode. Could this be what i'm looking for?

Appreciate you're busy with the firmware updates so no urgency here, just would be good to understand how the audio processing in the new mode works so I can get working on some audio files for it.

Like I said, lower priority question to the important work on the new firmware.

Thanks for your ongoing work on the 2B, great job!

Joe
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Fast audio is basically audio with faster sampling and less filtering. As we need to run as fast as we can to avoid issues with the sampling rates, we have canned the bargraph displays and gone with just the flickering LEDs - the brighter the higher the level
E-Stim Systems Ltd
GM66
Active

Post by GM66 »

How accurate are the bar meters, in terms of showing input levels? I'm curious, because I have a really hard time judging that sweet spot between too much audio input and not enough.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The current stereo mode is designed for them to give an average over a number of successive samples - its a guide not an exact display
E-Stim Systems Ltd
GM66
Active

Post by GM66 »

That's what I figured, because the meters never quite seemed to match up with the signal...I have an amp that has two outputs, so if I wanted to listen and stim (sometimes just to get a feel for what different sounds "feel" like) I could do both. It always seemed like the meter was a bit behind, which I attributed to sampling rates. This is a very cool change in the firmware.