Company's stance on third party selling add-on modules.

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
SouthernSwitch
Active

Company's stance on third party selling add-on modules.

Post by SouthernSwitch »

I have created a configurable motion sensor as well as a remote control interface for the 2B and so far have been giving them out to a few of my friends. The module goes over the 3 jacks on the unit (pass-through for the outputs) and interfaces with the command serial port and various hardware contained in the module. What is E-Stim System's stance (and any legal issues) of a third party (myself) selling add-on modules for the 2B created by that party? I know there is the the DIY Bluetooth module by LondonSubNigel and that seems to be received well by the company, but that isn't a "for sale" product; if that matters at all.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Company's stance on third party selling add-on modules.

Post by admin »

Our stance is the same as most commercial companies, i.e. we cannot stop you making the hardware, however we would point out that we wouldn't recommend using such a third party device, as it could damage the 2B, possibly damage the user and anything else attached to the unit, thus invalidating any form of guarantee.

You would also need to ensure that you have product liability insurance in place, something that we know is very expensive, and very difficult to get hold of unless your product has gone through the necessary approvals etc etc.

In addition the licence for the digital link system prohibits use of the information to make a commercial product, or to profit from the information, so actually making any commercial product that uses our link protocols is breach of the agreement. Can we stop you in that respect? well not without spending silly sums on legal fees, but if too many people do it, then we simply make the protocols closed source, and the community as a whole looses out.

My personal advice? keep to friends and friends of friends.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
SouthernSwitch
Active

Re: Company's stance on third party selling add-on modules.

Post by SouthernSwitch »

Alright, sounds fair to me :) Thanks for the quick response.