E-STIM 2B tear down review

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
t8500t

Re: E-STIM 2B tear down review

Post by t8500t »

Hi there.
I've recently bought 2B and I'd like to tell you what I think about it.

Power:

*Ouch. That means you need to have respect for it. it's powerfull and in my opinion the battery delivers sufficient power. I'm not using it above 50%

Build quality and feel:

*I've opened the case and...first impression is average. I've been a bit dissapointed when I've seen box label detaching from the case. Even the case itself is not properly moulded or casted because right above the power input some strange marks (from the glue maybe) can be seen.

*There are spots under the screen protector on the glass. Something like fingerprints and a bit of dust as well.

*In my opinion aluminum case would be much better. Something like 1590B or similar and the impression would be greater.

I'm thinking about replacing it or asking about partial refund because the powerbox is new and I didn't expected such bad surprises. I'm ready to pay 300gbp but I expect flawless device for that money.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

t8500t wrote:Hi there.
I've recently bought 2B and I'd like to tell you what I think about it.

Power:

*Ouch. That means you need to have respect for it. it's powerfull and in my opinion the battery delivers sufficient power. I'm not using it above 50%
Excellent.
Build quality and feel:

*I've opened the case and...first impression is average. I've been a bit dissapointed when I've seen box label detaching from the case. Even the case itself is not properly moulded or casted because right above the power input some strange marks (from the glue maybe) can be seen.
Why did you open the case? These are casting marks, which are present on virtually every item that is injection moulded, and normally are insignificant. We have been using the same injection moulded case on 3 different products for the past 13 years, with no complaints, but I will pass onyour comments to the QA team.
*There are spots under the screen protector on the glass. Something like fingerprints and a bit of dust as well.
That is not normally the case, although dust does enter from time to time. As you have opened the case you many have inadvertently allowed materials to ingress the case. If it was an issue then I would suggest you should have contacted us before you took the box apart.
*In my opinion aluminum case would be much better. Something like 1590B or similar and the impression would be greater.
I disagree, the case you mention is a poor quality cast box with no battery compartment and no internal supports.
I'm thinking about replacing it or asking about partial refund because the powerbox is new and I didn't expected such bad surprises. I'm ready to pay 300gbp but I expect flawless device for that money.
That is of course your choice, but you do not have any option of a refund as you have opened the case and invalidated any guarantee.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

you also forgot to mention that the 2B is now using surface mount technology, something that the original poster felt was lacking in our design.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
t8500t

Post by t8500t »

Thank you for the response.
I've opened the case but what I really meant was the briefcase with foam and not the actual powerbox. Then I took out the powerbox from the briefcase :D
So my warranty is not voided.

Overall I like the device, the knobs feel solid and I like the resistance but I think that this device would be perfect with aluminum enclosure
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

t8500t wrote:Thank you for the response.
I've opened the case but what I really meant was the briefcase with foam and not the actual powerbox. Then I took out the powerbox from the briefcase :D
So my warranty is not voided.
Ok :-) No problem. The front panel is a sticky label and normally takes 24hours to fully adhere, but as we make them faster than that sometimes they lift very slightly -just push it down again. Dust can ingress into the box, but it does not cause any issues with the display and generally any blemishes vanish when the unit is switched on

Overall I like the device, the knobs feel solid and I like the resistance but I think that this device would be perfect with aluminum enclosure[/quote]

Excellent!!! - I agree with your comments about the enclosure, but its harder to find a metal enclosure that would suit all the issues. We have even looked at the manufacture of custom enclosures but it takes time to develop.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
UKRubberguy
Active

Post by UKRubberguy »

t8500t Having read your concerns over the 2B I have some observations myself, and as the happy owner of a 2B I do have to wonder what it was you thought you were buying.

Having owned a number of different units over the years I have yet to find one that is in a metal case. I for one would not want one in a metal case that could conduct if something goes wrong with the unit internally, and if you were looking for something in a metal case why did you buy a 2B it is quite clear from the photos on the website that it is not metal. Did you think to contact E-Stim System first to see if it was in a metal case? You comment that 'I think that this device would be perfect with an aluminium enclosure' well you are entirely entitled to your opinion but I disagree as I don't think it would, but I guess it is a personal preference but I am failing to see how the material that the case is made of alters the way in which it operates. I see that the Admin agrees with you so it is obviously a personal choice thing but no doubt a metal enclosure would be more expensive and I am sure that additional cost would be passed on to the users and I do not see how it would enhance the performance of what is already a great unit.

I would suggest you look carefully at every plastic item that you own and see where the moulding marks are. My 2B also has a mark roughly where the power socket is but I don't look at the case while I am using it so I can't say it is an issue.

As for the dust/fingerprint, yes I can understand that it is slightly annoying, but I have bought various products at far higher prices than £300 and had the same sort of thing, but once again it has never affected the operation of the item and after a few weeks you don't notice it amongst all the other minor marks. Having owned my 2B for 3 or so years now there are worse things on the case now then a finger print or a speck of dust.

Ok I can see that the label not being properly stuck down might be annoying but have you tried just pressing back down? The admin has mentioned that they do take time to fully stick but really is it a big drama?

Overall you say you like the unit but you also say that you expect a flawless unit for £300. Nothing like asking is there. I do not believe there is anything such as a flawless product, certainly not of this type, but I think the 2B gets pretty close. What other units are out on the market that give you the same value for money regards modes, power, features such as internet connection and the support of a Lifetime Guarantee and a Forum run by the manufacturer?
The answer in none not even for £500. After all if you look at the other comparable units. The Erostek ET312B is over £500 to purchase in the UK/Europe, if you can find one and given that it is not CE marked it is not certified for use within the EU so support couild be interesting. It is also in a plastic case, 12 to 13 years old design, no ongoing development and only a 1 year guarantee not to mention i has a lead acid battery in it. The ElectraStim Sensorvox, again a plastic case, only 9 modes, no internet connection or ongoing development, 1 year guarantee extendable to only 3 years and no support forum. Companies like Mystim and PES to name a couple of other companies don't do similar spec units, and again all of their units are in plastic cases. So I think all in all what you are looking for does not really exist, and surely the single most important thing is how does the box make you feel, after all isn't that what you bought it for, using not looking at?

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine, but it just feels like you are picking faults unnecessarily and as far as the case goes you could have avoided this issue by checking with them first if this was a key requirement.
deadlyonear

Post by deadlyonear »

All,

First, great conversation, thanks. Second, as a career IT project manager, I can assure everyone that the total cost of any IT system I have ever worked on (ranging from thousands to millions) is not the cost of hardware / licensing, but rather the total cost of all work together. While it is true that we are all paying "far more" for the 2B than what the parts alone cost, I challenge anyone to:

1. Buy all the parts.
2. Put it together.
3. Make all the software / firmware.
4. Make sure it works correctly.

My guess is even if you have the skills needed to assemble electrical components and create code, you would spend far more time (assuming that you are employed) doing it yourself than you would buying it. Of course, the more you do it the better you get, but the modern capitalist system (as outlined by Adam Smith centuries ago) was built on the concept of specialization vs. everyone doing everything themselves.

While every IT project I have lead has room for improvement, and while I fully agree that there have been projects I have seen where quality was shoddy and this really hurt the business, in most cases, project quality needs to meet constraints, meaning that when I want a 2B, I expect a certain level of quality based on a budget. I am sure if everyone were willing to pay 1000 Euro for such a device, quality and functionality would be higher than it is now.
stevenhare
Active

Post by stevenhare »

hi i have a312 box and used to have a 2b box about 6years ago no good got a new one 2days ago love it
i think its better than than the 312 box
mrbutt89
Active Developer

Post by mrbutt89 »

stevenhare wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:24 am hi i have a312 box and used to have a 2b box about 6years ago no good got a new one 2days ago love it
i think its better than than the 312 box
I have both, and although I enjoy taking the 312B for a ride every now and then for a change, the results in terms of HFOs are definitely hit-and-miss. It's the 2B that's guaranteed to get me off every time.
Stimaddict
Active Developer

Post by Stimaddict »

mrbutt89 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:10 amI have both, and although I enjoy taking the 312B for a ride every now and then for a change, the results in terms of HFOs are definitely hit-and-miss. It's the 2B that's guaranteed to get me off every time.
Exactly the same here, my sentiments entirely. I bought my ET312 expecting something special and was a little disappointed.

Back to the original post in this thread, you would be amazed at how little there is inside the ET312 at around twice the price of the 2B.
Take the lid off and this is what you see:
et312-01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.