9V battery too weak - using two in parallel?

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
OneLasting3
Active

9V battery too weak - using two in parallel?

Post by OneLasting3 »

Hi

The 9V battery seams to be way too weak, but it looks like there is enough place to place a second one.
Would it give more power to use two in parallel or is the power limited by software when using a battery?

admin
Site Admin

Re: 9V battery too weak - using two in parallel?

Post by admin »

Its not something that we would recommend, and it may cause damage to your 2B. Have you tried a power supply?

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
OneLasting3
Active

Post by OneLasting3 »

Yeah i have the power supply, but usability is limited when bound to an electrical outlet :-|
So i would prefer using a stronger battery.
eck
Active

Post by eck »

OneLasting3 wrote:but usability is limited when bound to an electrical outlet :-|
So i would prefer using a stronger battery.
I recently installed a 12 V accumulator pack (https://www.conrad.de/de/modellbau-akku ... 06612.html) in the battery compartment.
DSCF3570_s.JPG
So far it works. Within the next days, I will whether if it is an improvement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dagtveit
Active

Post by dagtveit »

one thing is the strenght but how long does your 9 volt last
Michael95127

Post by Michael95127 »

Are you using the high power mode?
goldfrog
Active

Post by goldfrog »

Eck, most electronic components have a tolerance of about 10%, with better ones 5% and the best ones 1 or 2%. To use a 12v accumulator is probably 'pushing the envelope' a little too hard; check its output with a voltmeter—it's probably OK up to 9.6 or even 10 volts. Although you could do the math and add a 'load resistor' to bring the voltage down. I'd recommend using a 9V charger, and be careful with the polarity! Two batteries in parallel may provide too much current ... If you are likely to burn out a component, think about your warranty!!
samcdestim
Active

Post by samcdestim »

Hi goldfrog,

The tolerance of the electronic components has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The 2B external supply input is intended to be run from a 12V power supply, so no harm will be done, hence the advice in the manual to use an external supply if more power is required.

Putting two batteries in parallel will not burn out any components, the current drawn by the 2B will not increase just because the source supplying it is capable of supplying more than required.

Simply putting two batteries in parallel is not a good idea,if the terminal voltages differ, one battery will effectively try and charge the other. Primary cells do not like being charged.

Easy way to run the 2B without a mains supply is a small 12V sealed lead acid battery, put a fuse in the lead to avoid any problems should you short the lead as the battery can supply very large currents. Usual comments regarding guarantee obviously apply.

Always a problem if people give advice without really understanding the most basic electronic functions.

Samantha
goldfrog
Active

Post by goldfrog »

Thanks Sam, at least you were spurred into giving a good response. Merry Christmas! ;)
jimbobofmoo
Active

Post by jimbobofmoo »

Why does the series 2 original have 2x 9v batteries, but the 2B only has 1x 9v battery? Surely that limit's power when not running off the mains?