Microphone mode not working as expected

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
birdburdy
Active Developer

Re: Microphone mode not working as expected

Post by birdburdy »

neo80 wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 5:38 pm
birdburdy wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 5:24 pm
neo80 wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:56 pm I also have an Erostek 232, and frequency is fixed. Sound is only used to Trigger the output. It has 2 audio modes. One works as I have mention, and the other has 2 levels of power depending on the sound. At lower levels of sound it gives 75% of the power you have selected, and with louder sounds, you get 100%. Response is instantly quick and reliable.
The ET-232 also has an audio jack though doesn't it? Does that change the frequency to correspond to the audio?
neo80 wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:56 pm For me, audio mode on 2b is totally useless, compared to Erostek units.
Unfortunately, I sort of agree :(. I haven't tried a ET-312b but judging by the number of audio files out their (and their content) I suspect the audio is more fine-tuned.
No, on the et232 the frequency doesn't change with the audio.
An yes, it's way better tuned than 2b (but no data connection avaliable)
And about processor speed, the et232 has an atmega 8 :roll:
Have you seen this: **REMOVED **
If it ends up working out, maybe we'll be able to use Arduino in the future. The price of the hardware for these types of things has presumably decreased, with more and more makers out there.

Unofficial Python API for the E-Stim 2B: https://github.com/fredhatt/estim2bapi
Generating sounds in Python: https://github.com/fredhatt/estimsoundsynth
neo80
Active Developer

Post by neo80 »

Oh, I hadn't seen this before! Thanks for.the.link! Need to investigate :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have removed the link, as it links to a project that is a direct copy of the ET312 output stage, and although the originator thinks they have the right to reverse engineer the ET312 and then publish the results, we are a UK company who is governed by UK law and cannot and will not condone anyone 'ripping off' other peoples designs, even if they belong to our competitors.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
falense
Active

Post by falense »

I just received my unit. I was super excited about it, especially the microphone mode. Unfortunately I am seeing the exact same challenges as described in this thread. If someone from the company still reads this thread, I would highly suggest that the description of the Microphone mode is updated in the manual. Currently it states: "The built in microphone has no external connections, and is sensitive enough to pickup a conversation from several feet away. The placement of the microphone is close to the channel A control knob.". This is not the case from what I have experienced and read in this thread.

I am still experimenting, but at the moment I either have to tap the box or sing/scream at the box from about 4 cm away to get a response above 2 sound bars. I have been in touch with customer support about this. They asked me to tap the box to see if I saw any change, once I did they concluded that the Microphone is working as it should. If I wanted to return it I would have to cover return shipping. I think it would be a very simple fix to add a note in the manual describing the Microphone mode as experimental and remove the statement about picking up speech from 4 feet away. Currently mine only does about 2 inches. Just to be clear, my unit is brand new received less than 4 days ago.

Finally, I too would love to see an update to the Microphone mode. I think this would be a great addition to the 2B. From the previous posts, am I to understand that the Microphone mode has gotten an update in the Beta/developer firmware? My box is currently running 2.105 firmware.

All the best :)
UKRubberguy
Active

Post by UKRubberguy »

I am really surprised to read this thread as I have a 2B for a number of years now and I have never had any issues with the Microphone mode picking up normal speech at about 18" to 24" from the box. Maybe I am just lucky but it certainly works exactly like it says in the manual so I am not sure why you guys are having issues.
falense
Active

Post by falense »

UKRubberguy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:53 am I am really surprised to read this thread as I have a 2B for a number of years now and I have never had any issues with the Microphone mode picking up normal speech at about 18" to 24" from the box. Maybe I am just lucky but it certainly works exactly like it says in the manual so I am not sure why you guys are having issues.
That is indeed interesting. What put me off most was the fact that customer support treated this a problem on my side. As mentioned, my box was brand new, never used before. Would you mind doing a quick test? Speaking in a normal voice, 4 inches from the box, how many bars do you get?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Problem with any microphone is its difficult to define how a microphone reacts to ambient sounds. I an sitting here, with a 2B running 2.105, and its picking up the fan noise of my laptop giving 1-2 bars. Speaking normally I get 3-5, but I can shout and get from 1/2 a screen to max depending on how close I move my head. Play the right kind of music (I like lots of Base) and I can max it out just from being in the same room.

We test all 2Bs with a defined source at a set frequency to ensure it responds beyond that use of the microphone is highly dependent on how loud and at what frequencies your sound source is operating at. Remember even 3-4 bars can translate to a painful signal depending on what levels the outputs are set to. Running a 2B on microphone at 10% is not going to give the same output, WITH THE SAME SOURCE as running it at 80%, its highly dependent on the sound source and the settings of the 2B.

As to your comments regarding our customer service, please remember we do use the equipment in our own play so are not just reading from a script. Because of the design of the 2B if the microphone is responding to sound, and yours clearly is, then generally there is not an issue (Its actually quite a simple circuit). If the 2B is not responding to sound in the way you expect, then that is a different issue and it is up to us to try to help you get the best out of the 2B.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
UKRubberguy
Active

Post by UKRubberguy »

That is indeed interesting. What put me off most was the fact that customer support treated this a problem on my side. As mentioned, my box was brand new, never used before. Would you mind doing a quick test? Speaking in a normal voice, 4 inches from the box, how many bars do you get?
I have just tested my 2B and at 4 inches from the box speaking in a normal voice I am getting anywhere between 4 and 6 bars with no issues, and this response is much the same at about 12 to 18 inches away from it too.

I totally agree with the admin comment as well that the amount of output is more dependant on the output setting than the number of bars on the display and in my case I find that with the output set to around 25 to 30% I get a great response to the microphone mode.
falense
Active

Post by falense »

UKRubberguy wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:15 am I have just tested my 2B and at 4 inches from the box speaking in a normal voice I am getting anywhere between 4 and 6 bars with no issues, and this response is much the same at about 12 to 18 inches away from it too.

I totally agree with the admin comment as well that the amount of output is more dependant on the output setting than the number of bars on the display and in my case I find that with the output set to around 25 to 30% I get a great response to the microphone mode.
Thank you for testing.

It would make sense that the strength setting is the most important factor for the output power, but on my box it seems like it is just registering static all the time. I have provided customer service with a video of the problem. I took another cellphone playing loud music and placed it on the controller box. There was no sound bars, only random static flickering of the output LEDs. It will be interesting to hear what their conclusion is.
falense
Active

Post by falense »

I did some more testing with mine on a simple tone generator. Mine does not respond at all to frequencies above 180Hz (no sound bars). This does explain a few things. Best response I got was between 60-100 Hz. My subwoofer probably cuts out below 50Hz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_frequency

The fundamental frequency of speech is 85Hz to 180Hz for males and 165Hz to 255Hz for females. Which also makes this interesting. Knowing that it only responds to frequencies less than 180Hz I can make it trigger, but it is in a voice I would never use and it hurts my throat :(