Information about output of 2B - information needed for "transition"-box

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
Stef19
Active

Information about output of 2B - information needed for "transition"-box

Post by Stef19 »

At the moment I am designing a "transition"-box. This box is going to have four 3.5 mm mono jacks as inputs for the four channels of my two 2B-boxes.

By means of switches I am going to be able to realize different pole-joinings ("triphase-mode") between the four channels, swap poles and swap channels very easily.

As outputs I am going to have plugs for 4mm and 2mm banana jacks as well plugs for 3.5 mm and 2.5 mm mono jacks to eliminate the problem of adapter for the different electrodes once and for all. By means of short cables (with plugs at their ends) the signals of the four channels can freely be assigned to the different Outputs on the top-side of the box.

However, at the moment I am unsure what specs the different components (especially switches) have to fulfill:
- regarding the maximum voltage,
- regarding the maximum electrical current (ampere),
- regarding the maximum watt

Unfortunately I cannot find any specification about the maximum (or ususal) output of the 2B (regarding VAC, A and W)
- in the normal program modes (like Throb, Thrust, Waterfall or Wave)
- in "Stereo" (stereostim) mode.

Can someone provide this information to me (or which specs the components have to fulfill)? Thank you in advance!

Stef19
Active

Addition: Information about output of 2B - information needed for "transition"-box

Post by Stef19 »

Addition - to give an example:

There is a 4PDT-switch of the Company APEM (model 5566A) which is sold in Germany Germany for 10.62 Euro each. The technical specs state max. 3A and max. 250 VAC.

As an alternative there is a switch of the Company MIYAMA Parts (model MS 500P) which is sold for 3.90 Euro. The technical specs state max. 6A and max 125 VAC.

The life span Information and durability Information given are the same. Which switch should I choose?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Information about output of 2B - information needed for "transition"-box

Post by admin »

Firstly we don't publish output specs for many reasons, secondly if you are asking then you possibly don't understand some of the issues you may encounter. All E-Stim units have outputs in the realms of mA not A, so current is not an issue. I would suggest than any switch needs to be break before make as otherwise you could induce shorts in the outputs, but its not something we would recommend.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
Stef19
Active

Post by Stef19 »

Thank you for your message. The fact that the output is in the realms of mA and not A is not new to me. In the interest of completeness I haven't left the Ampere away (though - you are right - I could have written mA, but decimal points have the same effect).

However, what I do not know:
- is the voltage (as well as average voltage as voltage at peaks) and
- how many Watt or (mW) the components should be able to endure (this is relevant for some pontentiometers I am thinking to include).

I do understand that you do not want to publish output specs (and especially not for special modes), but perhaps you could give me some hints whether it is better to choose switches with a maximum of 60 VAC, 125 VAC or 250 VAC (and the same regarding W).
I would suggest than any switch needs to be break before make as otherwise you could ...
I am sorry, I do not get the meaning of this sentence (I am not a native speaker). Could you please try to write it in other words?
Eblob
Active

Post by Eblob »

Translated to German:

Ich empfehle, dass jeder Schalter der verwendet wird erst trennt, bevor der nächste Kontakt geschlossen wird um Kurzschlüsse zu vermeiden.
Stef19
Active

Post by Stef19 »

Eblob wrote:Translated to German:

Ich empfehle, dass jeder Schalter der verwendet wird erst trennt, bevor der nächste Kontakt geschlossen wird um Kurzschlüsse zu vermeiden.
Thank you very much for your advice.
birdburdy
Active Developer

Post by birdburdy »

Can you not just measure the quantities you want using a multimeter? You'd need to use stereo mode, and input a 60Hz sine wave to the 2b I think, then you should be able to use a basic multimeter on the AC setting.
Unofficial Python API for the E-Stim 2B: https://github.com/fredhatt/estim2bapi
Generating sounds in Python: https://github.com/fredhatt/estimsoundsynth
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A multimeter on AC will not be fast enough to correctly register the output level of a 2B or many E-Stim units - multimeters are generally designed for RMS measurements of 50/60Hz, not 100-6000Hz.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
birdburdy
Active Developer

Post by birdburdy »

admin wrote:A multimeter on AC will not be fast enough to correctly register the output level of a 2B or many E-Stim units - multimeters are generally designed for RMS measurements of 50/60Hz, not 100-6000Hz.

Si
But since the 2b can take as input a sound file, you could force it to generate 60 Hz no?
birdburdy
Active Developer

Post by birdburdy »

I've just realised that my previous suggestion was silly, as TENS units give short pulses to keep the duty-cycle extremely low. So you'd need a relatively good oscilloscope.