Power supply 2B

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
cbtslavecom
Active

Power supply 2B

Post by cbtslavecom »

For several years now I have been using my 2B with a power supply. I did not buy a power supply, but found a suitable one from an old scanner. Power supply parameters: 12 volts, 1 ampere.
How safe is it?

Sorry! My English is very bad.
accforstimonly
Active

Re: Power supply 2B

Post by accforstimonly »

My guess is yes, if the voltage and amps match, electricity is electricity.
Maybe the fact it's old might mean that the flow of electricity has more of a ripple, but that shouldn't effect most ICs.
I'd use it once i'd tested it with a multimeter but it might be wise to use a surge protector.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We would never recommend using a non approved power supply with the 2B. Yes volts is volts to a certain extent, but I would question whether the power supply has the correct level of isolation and thus safety required. And you have invalidated your lifetime guarantee on the 2B by using it.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
sebas
Active

Post by sebas »

With cheap supplies it's always a guess if the 230 and 12 volt circuits are properly divided to prevent 230v to flow to the 12 volt parts and in to the device connected. Shielding and noise prevention also differ. When you have a good quality power supply from a reputable brand and not a cheap supply made in China delivered via e.g. Aliexpress there should be no problem as long as it matches the specifications for volts, amps and connector.
birdburdy
Active Developer

Post by birdburdy »

admin wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:18 am We would never recommend using a non approved power supply with the 2B. Yes volts is volts to a certain extent, but I would question whether the power supply has the correct level of isolation and thus safety required. And you have invalidated your lifetime guarantee on the 2B by using it.
Other than the fact they've just admitted to using an unofficial power supply, how on earth would you know they had done that??
Unofficial Python API for the E-Stim 2B: https://github.com/fredhatt/estim2bapi
Generating sounds in Python: https://github.com/fredhatt/estimsoundsynth
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The little man who lives inside every 2B tells us.

But we can generally tell as if a unit is having issues with a power supply, we normally ask to see the power supply - then its wrong plug, wrong voltages etc etc

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd