Battery Level on Commander 3 vs LCD screen on 2B

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
gman
Active

Battery Level on Commander 3 vs LCD screen on 2B

Post by gman »

Hi there,

Im using the new battery, delivered with my 2B yesterday. The minute I put it in, it said it was nearly full on the display, this was fine as the handbook says this may be the case for any new battery.

When plugged into commander 3 the battery is coming up orange and half full, but the LCD display remains at the same level.

I have used the unit for an hour with power mostly high power on the low setting and a few hours trying to get it to work online etc. So I don't see this as massive use, however, I'm used to the Series 1, and obviously that only uses power whilst sending the power, whereas this one has an LCD display, connection to the computer etc, so wonder if that's drained the battery faster than I'd expect.

Anyway, which battery Level indicator is more accurate, commander 3 or the one within the 2B?

Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Battery Level on Commander 3 vs LCD screen on 2B

Post by admin »

Battery Level is always a bit hit and miss. Commander 3 reads the level from the 2B, and has more granularity on the display, where the 2B only has (AFAIKR) 3 characters to show full 2/3's etc etc

However the 2B will offer better efficiency so will keep using the battery until its as flat as possible, you just might need to turn the levels up as you go.

When plugged into the PC, the processor is actually powered by the USB, this was a design idea to ensure an upgrade didn't die due to a flat battery.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
gman
Active

Post by gman »

Thanks Si,

Ok that makes sense, and good idea about the usb supplying power.

I used the power adapter and it certainly handled dual power outputs on high much better. I could just have turned the power up as you say, however, as it was an audio track driving the outputs, do you not think that if I turned it up to a higher level, whilst both outputs where near full, to the level I got a good strong stim, close to the top of my comfort levels, from the system in both connections to my body, that when one dropped and the other remained high, it'd be quite an uncomfortable shock as a result?

Thanks,

GMan
estimbird
Active Developer

Post by estimbird »

admin wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:44 pm When plugged into the PC, the processor is actually powered by the USB, this was a design idea to ensure an upgrade didn't die due to a flat battery.

Si
This is good to know.

Just to be sure: By using the 2B plugged into the PC via the USB Adapter / Commander is is not necessary to use a power supply or have a battery installed? Sounds great :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No. The 2B is only correctly powered by the PC via the USB connection when performing an upgrade via uplink, as only the processor will be powered, not the output circuit. Don't attempt to run a 2B via the USB in normal play, or without a battery. It will fail.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
estimbird
Active Developer

Post by estimbird »

Ah, okay. I have got it wrong.
Stimaddict
Active Developer

Post by Stimaddict »

gman wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:59 pmI used the power adapter and it certainly handled dual power outputs on high much better.
The 2B eats through 9v batteries when cranked up in Hi-Power mode so I'd recommend you always use your mains adapter wherever possible. In fact I consider it an essential accessory because it stabilises the input and offers an immediate power-boost of up to 30% just by plugging it in. It's double insulated (Class II) so it's completely safe.
estimbird
Active Developer

Post by estimbird »

Stimaddict wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:27 pm
gman wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:59 pmI used the power adapter and it certainly handled dual power outputs on high much better.
The 2B eats through 9v batteries when cranked up in Hi-Power mode so I'd recommend you always use your mains adapter wherever possible. In fact I consider it an essential accessory because it stabilises the input and offers an immediate power-boost of up to 30% just by plugging it in. It's double insulated (Class II) so it's completely safe.
A Class II device is marked with a special symbol: a square inside another square:
Class-II-symbol.png
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance ... s#Class_II
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gman
Active

Post by gman »

Stimaddict wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:27 pm
. Yes exactly stabilising the output, which is an issue if you have both outputs high and drop one to 0%, you'll get an intense increase because the shared resource is now working on one, rather than 2 outputs... Which is why I don't agree with the advice of just turning it up til you feel it more to make best use of the battery