Different versions 2B

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
cbtslavecom
Active

Different versions 2B

Post by cbtslavecom »

I bought my 2B a long time ago. I took it apart to install the Arduino Pro Mini for control. I noticed red transformers in my 2B. On the printed circuit board used components for through-hole technology.

I was very surprised when they sent me a photo of a new 2B without a cover. I saw a circuit board with SMD components. I saw yellow transformers.

Is there a difference in the sensations from the use of different transformers in the new and old versions 2B?

Sorry! My English is very bad.
Stimaddict
Active Developer

Re: Different versions 2B

Post by Stimaddict »

The build will obviously change over time although the unit remains essentially the same. I have an old 2B together with a new-ish one but can't tell any difference in sensation. AFAIAA SMD (surface mount device) components have only been used in the last couple of years.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

From a hardware perspective there are actually 5 different versions of 2B, but all essentially the same in terms of feel. Its a case of us always trying to improve things with better production methods and materials as well as firmware upgrades.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
cbtslavecom
Active

Post by cbtslavecom »

I hope there will not be a situation when it will be impossible to install a new firmware on my old 2B due to hardware limitations.
Sorry! My English is very bad.
estimfun
Developer

Post by estimfun »

Oh man, if you're doing SMD and can make the cases smaller you should totally do that.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

cbtslavecom wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:29 am I hope there will not be a situation when it will be impossible to install a new firmware on my old 2B due to hardware limitations.
There will always be a point when a new product appear that will superceed an older version, but given our first unit was in production for 13 years our product lifetime is far better than any other manufacturer, and we are always actively looking at ways of offering even hardware upgrade routes to future 2B incantations. So for the foreseeable future the 2B is going to have an upgrade route, and even beyond that the 2B like all of our other power boxes, is supported from a repairs perspective, that is the essance of a Lifetime guarantee.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

estimfun wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:50 am Oh man, if you're doing SMD and can make the cases smaller you should totally do that.
One of the issue is actually making the cases themselves (injection moulding is expensive), and if we make the unit smaller, then you have issues fitting all the controls and display onto an ever decreasing space. Tiny control might look good, but are hard to use when hands are covered in lube.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
estimbird
Active Developer

Post by estimbird »

admin wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:49 am One of the issue is actually making the cases themselves (injection moulding is expensive), and if we make the unit smaller, then you have issues fitting all the controls and display onto an ever decreasing space. Tiny control might look good, but are hard to use when hands are covered in lube.

Si
Totally agree. Sure, a smaller box would be nice - but it's not always easy to handle the knobs of the current box therefore smaller knobs / buttons would be really a bad idea.