User instructions Commander2

Forum for discussion on the new 2B Commander Control software.
particles
Active

User instructions Commander2

Post by particles » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm sure I'm not smart enough to get the internet connection going for a remote session but on the other hand the instructions given on this site are very limited. It just says to use the IP adres and select a port and make sure that any firewall allows access via this port. For the initiated in the art of ict/internet networks this will be straightforward but for others it is usually not so simple. What to do with routers, how to determine what the IP adress is that you should use, how do you allow access via a port with firewall settings. Slighly more detailled insructions and examples would be very helpfull. One other common statement is that it should theoretically work on anything with a browser.....but how?

Is there a better manual or set of instructions available or is someone prepared to make it?

I just received the 2B device two weeks ago and think it is very good. The only thing I discovered is that it appears the B channel input response in stereo mode is different from the A channel. Tested it with several devices (PC, MP3 player) and different files and all had the same general result. Can this be adjusted?

admin
Site Admin

Re: User instructions Commander2

Post by admin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:54 am

particles wrote:I'm sure I'm not smart enough to get the internet connection going for a remote session but on the other hand the instructions given on this site are very limited. It just says to use the IP adres and select a port and make sure that any firewall allows access via this port. For the initiated in the art of ict/internet networks this will be straightforward but for others it is usually not so simple. What to do with routers, how to determine what the IP adress is that you should use, how do you allow access via a port with firewall settings. Slighly more detailled insructions and examples would be very helpfull. One other common statement is that it should theoretically work on anything with a browser.....but how?
The problem we have is the basics are very simple, but when you add in switches, routers, firewalls, cable modems, differet ISPs and methods of connecting to the internet it is impossible to write a set of instructions without spending hours explaining how the internet works. For instance starting with something simple -an IP address is a set of numbers assigned to any computer connected to the internet... 153.145.34.3 , but then the IP might belong assigned to the router, and another assigned to the PC, so now you have two IP addresses, and these addresses can change (dynamic) or be fixed. (Fixed IP).

A Port is a pipe through which data is sent and received... web browsers use 'port' 80 to send data, but you dont see it. there are several thousand ports used and again they can change.

A firewall is a bit of software or hardware that sometimes protects your computer network from nasties on the internet, one of the ways it does this is by blocking ports..so if you choose a port that is blocked by a firewall then you have issues. Ports can also be blocked by your ISP for various reasons.

This all gives you some idea why its quite difficult to write a comprehensive instruction guide, as most of the setting up is in areas beyond the use of Commander and the 2B.
Is there a better manual or set of instructions available or is someone prepared to make it?
I'd suggest that over time the instructions will improve.
I just received the 2B device two weeks ago and think it is very good. The only thing I discovered is that it appears the B channel input response in stereo mode is different from the A channel. Tested it with several devices (PC, MP3 player) and different files and all had the same general result. Can this be adjusted?
Virtually all music these days is stereo, so the response on the left and right channel is going to be different as the music is different on the left and right channels, even if you cannot always hear the differences. The 2B response is designed to be equal on the left and right channel, but if you are notiing a difference, try adjusting the balance control of your input device if it has one.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd

particles
Active

Post by particles » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:07 pm

As far as the internet and firewall settings go I can understand your point but users should perhaps be made more aware of potential difficulties as the website more or less suggests everything is possible without too much difficulty.

As for the stereo level I will create a stereo file from scratch with for example Audacity and check if the 2B has a problem or not.

Thanks for the answers.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:28 am

particles wrote:As far as the internet and firewall settings go I can understand your point but users should perhaps be made more aware of potential difficulties as the website more or less suggests everything is possible without too much difficulty.
It generally is, providing you understnad the basic concepts... and they hold true for getting most things communicating across the internet. But we will review and update the instructions as we get more feedback.
As for the stereo level I will create a stereo file from scratch with for example Audacity and check if the 2B has a problem or not.
Let me know how you get on... and if you could post me the file that would be useful.

Thanks for the answers.[/quote]

You are welcome!!

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd

particles
Active

Post by particles » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:39 pm

As promised I made a small audio file: 350 Hz frequency, first 10 seconds stereo, 10 seconds left channel, 10 seconds right channel. When played on laptop or mp3 player the file plays as intended, changing from stereo to left and right channel.

However when I connect it to the 2B it is the left side A channel bar graph that lights up with the right B channel only showing one or not a single bar at all. Tried it from both my laptop and mp3 player and also with a different audio cable, just to make sure it is not a faulty cable.

I have attached the mp3 file but I see the same difference when I play the `audio stim files` supplied with the 2B.

The strange thing is that when I select microphone on the 2b and make some noise it shows on both A and B channel but perhaps this has to do with how the internal microphone works (mono ?).

So my question remains, is my brand new not so cheap 2B not working as it should and what to do next?

Just tried to attach the mp3 file but I cannot upload the mp3 file as an attachment. Just get the message that the mp3 extension is not allowed but I get that with all extensions I give to the file so clearly I'm somehow not allowed to upload anything.....................

LondonSubNigel
Active Developer

Post by LondonSubNigel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:12 pm

For setting up remote connections, a good place to start gettting help is PortForward.com

First, when you visit the site, it will tell you your external IP (which is the one people need to use to connect to)

The port number you need to connect to depends on whether you're using the commander software or my own; and you need to know your internal IP address too; my ECS software shows that, but the address shown in Commander 2 may not be the correct one (certainly isn't on my Mac). You will need to right click on your PC's internet connection and find out the IP address there.

When you have your external IP address and the internal one, and the port, then choose your router brand from the menu on PortForward.Com and then the model; if they don't have the exact model, try one or two others that look similar.

You'll see a long list of apps, which not surprisingly doesn't include Estim in it. Click to see the default guide for the router. What you now need to do is to arrange to forward the appropriate port on your router to the internal IP address you have found out for your computer. Follow the steps to do that, based on the PortForward guide.

To connect to the Estim, someone needs to use the EXTERNAL IP and the port number.

particles
Active

Post by particles » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:31 pm

Checked the suggestions and instructions on portforward.com and that really helped a lot. Just my luck that the exact router model I have wasn't listed but I just picked the type closest and the default guide instruction pointed me in the right direction. And yes the port is now open. Had a quick check with my mobile Phone to find out if commnder 2 got an incomming signal and it did. Next checks will be if remote control works as intended. Thanks...to be continued.

particles
Active

Post by particles » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:24 pm

Dowloaded the Adroid app from LondonSubNigel and it all works. Can control the 2B via my android phone over the internet. Testing and experimenting continues.

LondonSubNigel
Active Developer

Post by LondonSubNigel » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:31 am

Glad you're having fun with it.

I must get back to the Android app soon - I have a lot of ideas, but been a bit short of time to implement them

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Thanks Nigel,

I'll try to add that into the instructions for Commander2

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd