E-stim connect stops working after about half a minute

User support for our new E-Stim Connect service. Looking for help? Then have a look at https://e-stim.online for instructions and answers to frequently asked questions. Comments and suggests for improvement of the service are always welcome.
PeterSvensson
Active

E-stim connect stops working after about half a minute

Post by PeterSvensson » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi!

I bought the 2B a few days ago mainly because of the "E-stim Connect" feature. But I have to say that I am disappointed. I have tested E-stim Connect more than 10 times now on different computers. Most of the times it seems to be working well in the beginning. When I click on the buttons on the /e-stim.online homepage my 2B reacts almost instantaneously. But then after 20-30 seconds or so, suddenly there will be a lag of at least half a minute between when I click on a button and that something happens on the 2B. Sometimes the lag will be even longer than a minute. Some of the times those long lags are there from the beginning. What can be wrong? Is it only me who have this problem?

Best,
Peter

estimbird
Active Developer

Re: E-stim connect stops working after about half a minute

Post by estimbird » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:00 am

Hi Peter,

sounds like a tricky problem.

To understand your setup a little better: Are you using the E-StimConnect software and /e-stim.online homepage on the same computer or the software on one PC with the 2B connected and the control homepage on another?

Is your computer connected via WiFi or lan cable? If possible try to use the other connection type.
Sometimes a freaky anti virus software may filter or block online connections.

Are you using a PC or Mac?

Sorry for not having a straight forward solution ... :oops:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:15 am

I would be asking all the same questions. Connect is internet based so you are always going to be subject to issues caused by the connection.

But I will look into this at our end

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd

PeterSvensson
Active

Post by PeterSvensson » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:22 pm

Thank you so very, very much for your kind help, estimbord and admin!

I have plugged my 2B into my MacBook pro (late 2016) with a 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7 and 16 GB Memory, running macOS Mojave, Version 10.14. It is connected to the internet (1000/100 Mbit/s) via WiFi and it has no anti-virus software.

I have used the e-stim.online homepage both on the same computer, an older MacBook Air and my iPhone – all connected to the internet via the same WiFi as my MacBook Pro.

I normally experience that I can download an upload thing very quickly, so I doubt that the reason for my problems is a bad internet connection.

Also I would like to add that Commander 3 is working great so I am considering using Teamviewer or something similar for remote access to my 2B, but it would be better if I could use E-stim connect.

Best,
Peter

LondonSubNigel
Active Developer

Post by LondonSubNigel » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:39 pm

Have you tried using ping from the command line, to see if there is any packet loss? It's possible for most of the net to be working fine, but routing issues to cause packet loss to some hosts. Open a Terminal window and type

ping e-stim.online

In the console window of your browser (possibly via Developer tools), are there any error messages logged?

PeterSvensson
Active

Post by PeterSvensson » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:13 pm

Thank you for your kind help everyone, I have solved the problem now. When I disabled WiFi on my phone I could use it on the /e-stim.online homepage and there was no lag anymore. It works great!

Best,
Peter

estimbird
Active Developer

Post by estimbird » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:37 pm

Hi Peter,

wired ... beside the ping test suggested by LondonSubNigel can you test the same setup at a different location / different WiFi? I suspect that your local wifi may be the cause of this behavior.

You can also ALT-Click the WiFi symbol in your menu bar and start Wi-Fi Diagnostics from there. Details here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202663

PeterSvensson
Active

Post by PeterSvensson » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:33 pm

When I can start the e-stim connect app (with my 2B connected to one of the thunderbolt 3 ports) I can usually select from three different inputs: MALS, SOC and Bluetooth-Incoming-Port. None of these works for me. So I have to search for my port but that usually doesn’t work either. Then I redo the search, restart my computer, reset the 2B and turn off and on the Commander mode, unplug and replug the cables and keep doing all those things for everything between 3 minutes and half an hour until finally, suddenly “usbserial-[some letters and numbers]” turns up when I search for ports from the e-stim connect app – and then everything works as it should. Sometimes, if I am lucky, the “usbserial-[some letters and numbers]” is still on the list when I start the app next time, but most often it isn’t.

Is there anything I can do to make sure the “usbserial-[some letters and numbers]” will remain in the list of ports in the e-stim connect app?

Also, what does Bluetooth-Incoming-Port mean? Can I connect my 2B to my computer via Bluetooth? That would be great! However I can’t find 2B when I look for available Bluetooth devices from my computer.

/Peter

estimbird
Active Developer

Post by estimbird » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:44 pm

PeterSvensson wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:33 pm
When I can start the e-stim connect app (with my 2B connected to one of the thunderbolt 3 ports) I can usually select from three different inputs ...
Ah, okay. It seems you have one of those new Macs that only have USB-C ports. Are you using the orginal Apple USB-C to USB adapter?

If you have access to a Thunderbolt 3 dock like the Caldigit TS3 plus, maybe you can give it a try and use a standard USB port of the dock to connect the digital link cable.
PeterSvensson wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:33 pm
Also, what does Bluetooth-Incoming-Port mean? Can I connect my 2B to my computer via Bluetooth? That would be great! However I can’t find 2B when I look for available Bluetooth devices from my computer.
No, you can't. The 2B has no Bluetooth connectivity build in.

estimbird
Active Developer

Post by estimbird » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:31 pm

The display of the Bluetooth entry depends on how the USB-Serial device detection is implemented:

To detect the correct device on macOS the software scans possible devices in /dev with the pattern /dev/tty.*
The Bluetooth device has a similar name: /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port and matches the pattern, too.

Another question: Do you use the original macOS USB-serial driver (aready part of macOS) or did you install the FTDIUSBSerial / FTDIUSBSerialDriver from ftdichip.com?