ABox Inputs

The unique Audio sensation....the ABox. How to get the best out of your ABox, and ABox Mk2
estim_si
Staff

ABox Inputs

Post by estim_si »

Why?
We are often asked why does the ABox have two inputs?

The prototype of the ABox only had one, and in fact didn't even have the display the current ABox has. However as the ABox was designed to operate with musical audio tracks as well as dedicated tonal files (see Audio CD), It soon became apparent that being able to listen to the audio you were being stimmed by was useful. You could connect your MP3 player using a splitter cable, but that became an additional connection you had to have and it all became a bit complex. So two inputs were born. Simply plug your audio source into one, and a pair of headphones into the other.

Level Display
The ABox level display was another innovation that came about from play with the prototype. Silence was golden worked wonders, but without any visual display the person controlling the input had no idea if the subject should have been jumping around or not. A quick knob twiddle often resulted in the subject jumping around screaming spoiling the mood and the effect we were trying to achieve. So a level display was created. The 'Perfect' level, to get the most dynamic range our of the ABox is with the input level adjusted just enough for the Red LED to be flashing but not on continuously. With the microphone this can be adjusted with the sensitivity control,

with an external audio source you simply adjust the sound output level control on the MP3 player etc.

Levels
BTW the ABox is designed to work with headphone level outputs (anything with a headphone connection) rather than professional audio equipment line out. Why? Well more people have equipment with headphone connections.

Hope this helps

Si

subbiemale

Re: ABox Inputs

Post by subbiemale »

Can you connect two mp3 players up to the two inputs and then will it run both of the outputs?

Subbie
estim_si
Staff

Post by estim_si »

subbiemale wrote:Can you connect two mp3 players up to the two inputs and then will it run both of the outputs?

Subbie
Simple answer is no.

Si
labiteena

Post by labiteena »

How do i protect my headphone jack in my Ipod? I just got the new, 2nd gen ipod touch because my 30GB iPod's headphone jack broke. it only played music in the left ear, and yes, i am positive it wasnt the headphones. So, my question is, how do i avoid this in my new ipod? is it better to just leave the headphones plugged in all of the time or is it better to take them out and put them in every time? Please state your sources. Thank you.
Try not plugging in your Ipod into the outputs of the ABox?? The ABox has been around for a while and we regulary run our own units on all the various Ipod with no reported problems... and I have used everything from the first generation Ipod to the latest 3GS iphone with no issues. As the design of the Ipod connects the back of the case of the ipod to the headphones, which are not isolated from the ground connection of the ABox it is possible in theory to find the case of the Ipod becomes part of the stimulation circuit, so ensure you use the ipod with a protective insulating case.

Hope this helps

Si