REQ Help understanding Stereo Response Time

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
Gentlec6
Active

REQ Help understanding Stereo Response Time

Post by Gentlec6 »

Hello,

I am exploring stereo audio input using mp3 files from SmartStim on my new 2B running released firmware 2B.104. I find that I don't fully understand how the Adjust knob and Response time work. I understand the concept - a lower value makes the stim output match the audio output response more closely and a large value smooths the output so it is less responsive to changes in audio output (sliding window?). I noticed that with one file ( a simple mono track with a series of slowly building pulses called "autoruin_15"), the response value bounced around on its own between 1 and 3. It didn't feel like I was able to change this value much using the adjust knob and it would never go above 3. Next I tried a stereo file called "duality". With this file the response value started at about 98 and bounced around 96 to 99. I could change the value somewhat with the adjust knob but never a great deal. For this file I believe it would be desirable to get the value down as low as possible to be able to feel the full movement of the audio.

So I wonder:
  • What is the expected behavior of this function? Is my experience normal?
  • Does the system set the response value somehow based on the audio input?
  • Should I expect to have full control of the responsiveness (0-100%), or some smaller subset?

Thank you for any clarification,
Gentle

CompletelyFried
Active

Re: REQ Help understanding Stereo Response Time

Post by CompletelyFried »

I tried the same: an existing mp3 not specifically designed to work with my 2b, expecting that any harshness or jolts could be prevented by reducing the responsiveness, but at the same time hoping that the designed effect of the file would still be there. It's nog going great, probably because I don't know what I'm doing. Any help would be appreciated.
Gentlec6
Active

Post by Gentlec6 »

Hi CompletelyFried. As you can see, no one has answered. Here is a quick summary of what I have been able to learn on my own. The 2B does process any audio input. I believe the input signal is subjected to smoothing/averaging over time as well as filtering/limiting to protect the user from jolts. I believe the intent of these features is a better experience for everyone. Still, it limits the usefulness of third-party audio files. As I understand it, the current implementation of the 2B makes it difficult to simply pass the audio signal though. It seems that it has to be processed before it can be output and that affects the signal. In the latest beta firmware there is a new high speed stereo mode might might be a step toward resolving this. I haven't tested it myself as I understand there are issues with the new beta stereo modes but I will report back if/when I do.

As I am essentially a n00b with this device, there is a good chance that I am wrong about some of this. Your mileage may vary. If anyone knows more, please bring me up to speed!

Regards,
Gentle
CompletelyFried
Active

Post by CompletelyFried »

Thank you for your response. I would say that filtering is definitely going on, as in other posts I read that there is a complete cut off of frequencies over 6KHz or something like that. It is probably the effect of the smoothing function that I am trying to understand. There is a file out there that is called the Pulsinator Suite. It essentially is a pulse that changes from one channel to the other. Most people seem to be very enthusiastic about it, but I don't see it. (Feel it). That might be the smoothing, because if you would do that with a pulse then the effect is lost. But I tried settings from 1 to 100 and it doesn;t seem to make a lot of difference. So what is does is unclear to me.