Bluetooth Experimentation

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
Dale1953

Bluetooth Experimentation

Post by Dale1953 »

Have had a 2B for sometime and enjoyed it immeasurably! Have also used Commander with great success.

But something was lacking...I just did not like being 'tied' to my PC by the Digital Link Interface cable. I want to be able to move around. Maybe go outside or who knows where.

Now I know that some on the forum have custom built Bluetooth (BT) devices but this route was not for me as I know little to nothing about such electronics. So I purchased a Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver 2-in-1, Mpow Portable Wireless Bluetooth Audio Adapter from Amazon for £15. Now this device's use is stated as 'Bridges Your Bluetooth Device To Your Speakers Or Your Bluetooth Speakers To Your Audio Device. It is also very small measuring 6 x 3 x 0.8 cm and has a USB rechargeable Lithium ion battery. It is literally the same size as a 9v battery only thinner.

It seemed ideal for what I wished to do. So after charging up and pairing to my Android smartphone, I use the supplied 3.5mm -3.5mm AUX Audio Cable to plug into the Audio Input/Digital Link jack on my 2B.

I had no difficulty at all with transmitting audio files from my smart phone to the 2B so that was a big success.

I then attempted to use the Android app, estim4android, from LondonSubNigel but so far have not been able to get it to work.
The app will recognise and seems to pair with the Mpow receiver in the app setting but on the main page to go online, I get an 'unable to connect' message.

Sometimes being a semi-technophobic is a real issue!

Unfortunately, LondonSubNigel's site does not seem to have any contact details other than a snail-mail address in his copyright statement so I am hoping he is staying in contact with this forum and lend me some help!

Anyone else tried similar actions?

Cheers!

Majorityon
Active

Re: Bluetooth Experimentation

Post by Majorityon »

I think the problem is that Nigel's software expects to see a data link to the 2B but your BT device is an audio adapter. You will be able to play audio stim files but not ones that fiully control all the 2B functions.
Kent87878787
Active

Post by Kent87878787 »

Interesting!
I though that Bluetooth was just Bluetooth and that ANY data sent was digial be it audio or data???
Majorityon
Active

Post by Majorityon »

That's correct, but BT handles audio data differently from data data, both ends of the link have to follow a protocol profile appropriate for the data stream being handled. What you have is an audio adapter which uses probably the headset profile designed to wirelessly connect headphones. You can also buy serial data adapters that carry, well, serial data, and these can be used to connect a 2B and carry control data. AFAIK there aren't any that can do both.
LondonSubNigel
Active Developer

Post by LondonSubNigel »

Did I miss the email from my website? Oops. That was clumsy - nigel at roughsex.org is fine, but I check in here frequently.

As mentioned, Bluetooth audio and Bluetooth data are very different things, and my app is designed to work with data, sending commands to select modes on the 2B and so on, so it needs an adaptor that's a serial cable replacement.

On the technical side, Bluetooth is quite complicated, and devices advertise which 'profiles' they support; some of those are things like "headset" and "serial port" - a device like the one you have will probably be supporting A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), which is for stereo sound. Bluetooth 4 / BLE gets even more complicated, as it has predefined profiles for lots of things, like for example heart rate monitors, so that any app that understands that profile can talk to any monitor that implements it. Its big omission is that there's no defined serial port profile.

In practical terms, what this means is the device you have will work great with the 2B in stereo mode, but it can't be used to control it in the normal command mode. Ready made Bluetooth -> serial adaptors don't seem to be terribly cheap, but modules like HC05 can be bought for around a fiver. If you are looking for a module to build an adaptor like the one described on my site (and elsewhere by other people), you need a module that supports the Serial Port Profile, like the HC05, and you should avoid Bluetooth 4/BLE modules, even if they say they have a serial port mode, because with Bluetooth 4/BLE, each manufacturer can implement serial ports how they like, since there isn't a standard. As a result, they're all irritatingly different. To make my app work with BLE, I'd have to include options for whichever modules people were using.
bdby139
Active

Post by bdby139 »

Does anyone sell a Bluetooth data capable dongle for the 2b? I don't have the technical skills to make one myself, and the data link cable is a bit short for the computer I use, (desktop). As a result, I haven't had much practice with Commander 3, or the E-Stim Connect, not that I'm complaining.
KayEstim
Staff

Post by KayEstim »

bdby139 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:46 am Does anyone sell a Bluetooth data capable dongle for the 2b? I don't have the technical skills to make one myself, and the data link cable is a bit short for the computer I use, (desktop). As a result, I haven't had much practice with Commander 3, or the E-Stim Connect, not that I'm complaining.
You can always use a short USB extension with the Digital Link Interface Cable is you need a little more length to it.
Kay
Sales Director
E-Stim Systems
eck
Active

Post by eck »

bdby139 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:46 am Does anyone sell a Bluetooth data capable dongle for the 2b? I don't have the technical skills to make one myself, and the data link cable is a bit short for the computer I use, (desktop). As a result, I haven't had much practice with Commander 3, or the E-Stim Connect, not that I'm complaining.
You would need a Bluetooth to serial serial adapter like this:
https://www.amazon.de/Bluetooth-RS232-A ... 32+Adapter
However all these adapters have the standard 9-pin SUB-D connector while the 2 B has a non-standard 3-pin-connector as serial port. Therefore, adaptions have to be made at the plugs and probably also for the signal levels. I do not know a source for a ready-to-use adapter. Some adapters shown under the search link have the needed plug type but these are audio adapters which do not cover the question.
bdby139
Active

Post by bdby139 »

MickEstim wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:34 am
You can always use a short USB extension with the Digital Link Interface Cable is you need a little more length to it.
Thanks for the tip. Didn't even cross my mind to look for an extension cable.
bdby139
Active

Post by bdby139 »

eck wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:11 pm
You would need a Bluetooth to serial serial adapter like this:
https://www.amazon.de/Bluetooth-RS232-A ... 32+Adapter
However all these adapters have the standard 9-pin SUB-D connector while the 2 B has a non-standard 3-pin-connector as serial port. Therefore, adaptions have to be made at the plugs and probably also for the signal levels. I do not know a source for a ready-to-use adapter. Some adapters shown under the search link have the needed plug type but these are audio adapters which do not cover the question.
Thanks for the response, but like I said, I don't have the technical skills. Especially if it needs modifications to work. I already use a Bluetooth audio adapter with good results.