Developer access

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
admin
Site Admin

Developer access

Post by admin »

Hi All,

lately we have had a number of new users who have joined the forum, made one or two comments on old threads in order to get their post count up and then asked for developer access. Then one who is no longer around complained when they didn't understand the nature of a beta - 'its rubbish and its got bugs in, and no manual' was the quote. We are not stupid we do look at peoples posts, and we expect people asking for access to the developers forum to have respect for what we are trying to do, as well as respect the others who put in a massive amounts of work giving us feedback and ideas. So if you would like to have developers access, then understand that we expect to see some semblance of feedback even before we grant you access, as after all access to the Developers forum is a privilege not a right. Even reading the posts about how to join the developers section might be a good start.

Si

E-Stim Systems Ltd
chokablepuppy

Re: Developer access

Post by chokablepuppy »

That may be because new firmware updates are gated behind the developer's forum, maybe it'd be a good idea to just put them in an update section available to anyone looking?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

All people need to access the developer section is to be slightly active on the forum, (3 posts is not a lot to ask), and understand that they are downloading a beta. Sometimes that is difficult to explain, as we operate across multiple countries, languages and time zones.

Beta firmware has no guarantee, sometimes limited instructions and is not for everyone, the vast majority of our users quite rightly expect things to work 100% of the time, and this is not something we can offer in a beta/development scenario, but some do enjoy playing with new ideas and give us valuable feedback which is then incorporated into new releases.

if we posted betas on an open forum we would have to spend hours answering questions from people who don't take the time to listen or read the accompanying posts, nor actually understand that a beta might not work or might work in unexpected ways. Its simple we offer a choice. join the developers section and get access to the cutting edge firmware updates, or wait for us to release a more finished version of firmware.

We offer choice. Its up to our users to choose what they wish to do.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
hardmasteruk
Active

Post by hardmasteruk »

chokablepuppy wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:10 pm That may be because new firmware updates are gated behind the developer's forum, maybe it'd be a good idea to just put them in an update section available to anyone looking?
Why not just join the developers section?

HM
"Pain and Pleasure in equal Measure"
Saturn2001
Active

Post by Saturn2001 »

I posted a few times, as well as a lengthy review. I also requested access, but have not been granted it yet. I’m not trying to join the developer section just to download betas. I’m very happy with 2.106 and very famiar with estim and the functions and limitations of this device. This is the best USD $400 I’ve spent in years. I am simply hungry for information and have technical questions specific to the 2b that only the designers could comprehend. I figure those questions may be easier addressed in there.

...Then again I’ve never seen the developer’s forum so not quite sure what information to expect.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

and I have no record of a PM from you

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8005

just drop Admin a PM and we will get it sorted for you

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
Stimaddict
Active Developer

Post by Stimaddict »

Many folk seem to mistakenly believe a beta is something better, an upgrade the developers are hiding away for their own use.

It's not. A beta is an imperfect test run. There are some features you might like and others you will hate. Your favourite mode might not feel as good, or even stable. No beta version can be considered completely stable or it wouldn't be a 'beta'. Something is fixed here and another problem pops up there.

That's why I'd personally recommend any 2B owner should stick with v2.106 for now. It's stable, it works and the stereo mapping is right. Users with less experience should remember that until you really get to know 2.106 you have nothing to compare it to.
Saturn2001
Active

Post by Saturn2001 »

I can easily say that if I bought this unit with the current beta software installed, I would be very disappointed in my purchase. The only possible way to comprehend or even appreciate the beta software is to first have thorough experience and understanding of the operation of the 2B with the release software.

Beta versions are far from perfect, and more of a benefit for the developers than the customers, as it is the developers only opportunity to recieve feedback from customers who want to help them make the product better.

Unless you have a solid grasp on the baseline (release version 2.106), you probably will not have much insight to offer the developers and you will not get much out of the beta either. I find it very generous of the developers to offer this opportunity to the customers with such minimal prerequisite.

I also encourage anybody who is invited to the dev forum to stop (before simply downloading the most recent beta and hooking up their 2B) and read the entire forum since the last release to better gain an understanding of the work and changes that have occured up to the current beta.
mummiob
Active

Post by mummiob »

I had dev access, because I write my own control software. Now I wanted to see if there is something new the access is closed. Decision to get a 2nd unit for testing and development canceled.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mummiob wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:01 am I had dev access, because I write my own control software. Now I wanted to see if there is something new the access is closed. Decision to get a 2nd unit for testing and development cancelled.
The access isn't closed, you just have to ask for it. We already have people with access to the developers forum pestering our customer support team to help them with Betas, when its clearly stated that these are beta releases that do have issues and may not work for some. So the request for a minimum of 3 posts, and then ask for access is simply to protect our developers, protect our CS team and protect users who might not really understand what using a beta means.

Developer access is a privilege not a right, and we do prune users who are inactive - having access for a year and making one post would count as inactive. Of course you could have just dropped the admins a PM asking for access to be reinstated as they do make mistakes from time to time.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd