Remote web control based on audio files instead of the presets?

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
StimJoy
Active

Re: Remote web control based on audio files instead of the presets?

Post by StimJoy »

stimmingexperiments wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:34 pm
admin wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:54 pm Might I begin? What apps have you come across that have been written to use audio with other products?
The one I was thinking of is Electron which I haven't actually used because I assumed it would run into the problem of the different responses to pain files (I knew about this before I bought the 2B so it doesn't bother me). I only mentioned it because I wanted to list something that was a fundamentally different user experience.

Someone on this forum mentioned they made their own private fork of Electron so they could loop sounds, add them to a play list, etc which is the beginning of what I'm looking for.
That was me. I've still been crazy slammed these months, I haven't dug it up and offered it out. I'll try to setup a late night to do this sometime (always sometime).

mrbutt89
Active Developer

Post by mrbutt89 »

stimmingexperiments wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:24 pm I thought about what I'd like to make to improve things and the simplest solution seems to be to drop the digital link and go back to stereo. Why not cut 5s, 10s, 1m, etc snippets out of the best audio files and then allow whoever is in control to queue them up, loop them, etc like a DJ? There's probably already some online music site that could do this but if not it'd be simple to make one. Some sort of visualiser so the controller can "see" what is happening would help too.

Does this exist already or is it a bad idea that won't work?
Have you investigated SmartStim? Apart from a really useful e-stim discussion forum, they've developed a piece of software which might be exactly what you're looking for. It controls your 2B via audio. You can change the audio parameters on it and create your own tracks using the built-in tone generator. Or you can access a huge library of long sessions created by other users. You can import files from Phaser, but I'm not sure you can import audio directly.
It's also possible to be "driven" remotely by other users, who can control the audio signal to your 2B. There's a basic webcam facility built into the software, or you can use it alongside other video chat software. It doesn't provide full control of the 2B, as you would still have final control over output levels etc., but it's still a good system.
Access to the forum is free, but you would be expected to make a monetary donation to the site if you wanted to download and use the software. It's up to the donor how much they give.
Stimaddict
Active Developer

Post by Stimaddict »

mrbutt89 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:22 am It's up to the donor how much they give.
To gain access to audio and software you have to donate £20 ($30) or above annually for SmartStim Extended Member status.
LondonSubNigel
Active Developer

Post by LondonSubNigel »

stimmingexperiments wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:34 pm I also saw StimBroker but was wary of even trying it because donating via PayPal would give away my real name, business email, etc.
You can just use a throwaway email if you like, and you can try it for six weeks without any payment - I increased that from two when the lockdown began, as I knew we were all going to be spending a lot more time at home.

In terms of PayPal, while in theory if I dig through my transactions I could work out who it was, none of that info is stored in the database here; when you make a donation via the StimBroker page, a user id is passed, and that's then passed back as a notification, and it's that that is used to update the user info.

So there's absolutely no need for the PayPal account to match the email used on StimBroker. You could, I guess, create a throw-away PayPal account specifically for that, if you're worried about me knowing who you are.

The only emails that are stored here are those used as ids when you register on StimBroker. Obviously, this is a matter of trust in my discretion. What I can say on that front is that in 1990 I started what we believe was the UK's first internet email list for LGBT people (uk-motss), and I've been running BLUF.com for over a decade now. For all of those 30 years, I have made sure we make great efforts in maintaining the privacy of people, to the extent of designing software like that custom list system for uk-motss, and the whole of BLUF, from a privacy-first point of view, to make it as hard as possible to find out if someone's a user of something I run.

So, yes, if you pay using your usual account, it's possible that I could see from my PayPal records exactly who you are. But I've got three decades of privacy awareness under my belt; even if your'e Dominic Cummings, I'm not going to go round screaming "You'll never guess who's putting electrodes on his cock!"

I hope that offers some reassurance
stimmingexperiments
Active

Post by stimmingexperiments »

mrbutt89 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:22 am Have you investigated SmartStim?
I wasn't able to get into SmartStim because it never sends the confirmation email. There's posts on Reddit with other people saying they can't register either.
Stimaddict wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:25 am To gain access to audio and software you have to donate £20 ($30) or above annually for SmartStim Extended Member status.
I've already garnered that you're the guy with a huge audio collection but you're not allowed to post them here for copyright reasons. That raises the question, is there a library of audio files that are licensed under Creative Commons or something similar? Even if I make an app it wouldn't be much fun if I can't release it with included content that is ready to plug and play.
Stimaddict
Active Developer

Post by Stimaddict »

stimmingexperiments wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:01 pm I've already garnered that you're the guy with a huge audio collection but you're not allowed to post them here for copyright reasons. That raises the question, is there a library of audio files that are licensed under Creative Commons or something similar? Even if I make an app it wouldn't be much fun if I can't release it with included content that is ready to plug and play.
Hi SE - Copyright is a complicated subject and in this case concerns the intellectual property of each audio stimfile author. The ownership of that copyright always remains with the original author. This forum has an understandable and quite sensible policy that you can only upload, or directly link to, your own stimfiles and not those created by someone else because they have not necessarily given permission for publication here.

So you would always be welcome to release your own content here, as would anyone else, but not each others. In general on the 'net you can release content for sharing in the public domain but legal copyright still remains with you as the original author.

================================================================================================================
Just a reminder that anyone here is welcome to PM me for a download link to hundreds of free, shared mp3 stimfiles organized by author - some up to 4 hours long!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unlimited access to the Stimfile Archive with No fees, No registration required, No ads, No catches, No expiry date and No hidden motives.
chaotM
Active

Post by chaotM »

Hello,

Some of the features the OP asked about seemed interesting to me too. Owning a 2B and getting to know the way the 2B links, and how the basic interaction between PC and the micro controller in the 2B works, i start to recognize the "limitations" evolving around it. While i have not seen the source code or such, i can imagine more then enough reasons for the 2B to be "limited" as is. and while i say limited i must actually say "safeguarded". So far i have been looking around and in my head i have been trying to build a list of things needed to achieve something like this. and then i only focus on hardware / software. not even the legal things involved.

Winamp used to have built in visualizers, those would analyze audio / video being processed and depending on the audio in a given track the visualization would respond in sync with the audio. i am pretty sure with some effort it would be possible to find source code for that, and rebuild / mimic the behavior to generate a stream of signals / levels for the 2B to use. though at the same time this alone is a hard task, how do you equalize volume, how to handle overloads, how to choose a frequency band to respond to? bass bands are nice in my experience, though others may like higher frequencies, filters and band-pass stuff makes this even more complicated... a lot of things to be solved i guess

The signal rates that the 2B handles are as of yet unknown to me, this may cause issues, if the rate is to slow, or limited other ways for safeguarding, that may mean the signal would end up being very rough in stepping. another thing to look in to.

Os level safety separations, in win 10 (UAC) for example audio devices are safeguarded, it requires admin level accounts to be able to capture audio. at the same time the app should be able to communicate to the 2B via a serial port, and if that is not enough, the app should also be able to connect to some online server / api to sync / share / whatever is done with these "control / signal stream(s)".

then for online play, how would you setup the "audio capture"? On the controllers end and send it to the receiving 2B? Or allow the remote user control on the daemon running at the 2B end of the link? So many options and at the same time so many "security" risks to cover at the same time.

So in my opinion, nothing is impossible, though it at least looks like a herculean task to complete from what is available in at the current time.

chaot_M