issue with Audio input dropping out

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
Davespages
Active Developer

issue with Audio input dropping out

Post by Davespages »

This is aimed more so at the more technically minded 2b owners and of course the e-stim staff too...

My 2B has an unusual and rather annoying issue with the audio input when in stereo mode and ive been able to replicate it numerous times....

2B - Version 2.106

Both channels in use (A and B)
Playing an audio file via my phone to the 2b.
Before increasing the power/intensity to the channels I always wait to see a signal level for both channels on the display.

There's never an issue with channel A but more times than not... Channel B has no signal level showing.
If I unplug thr 3.5mm Jack and plug back in, the signal level shows.

This happens with various audio files so I know its not a specific audio file.

I initially thought it was a damaged 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable (being a DJ by trade i know how cables can get damaged yet not look damaged)
So i bought a brand new one... and i get the same issue... sometimes (more often than not) I have no input level.displayed for channel B.

Unplugging and re plugging in the 3.5mm jack solves the problem and there is a signal on both channels... and output to the electrodes when the intensity controls are turned up.... but heres the weird thing....

Without even touching the 2B unit, Audio cable or mp3 player (phone) if playing and audio file that had breaks/pauses in it... after a say 5-10 seconds of silence.... the signal level.on channel B does not return when Channel A returns and the only way to make channel B's signal return is to again unplug and reinsert the 3.5mm audio jack.

Why is it intermittent when nothing is being touched or moved?

I was in the middle of a Milinova tease... where the website plays a variety of audio files... and after each audio file there is a gap... when channel B's signal would be lost.
I got somewhat annoying.... it took the pleasure out of the experience.

Should I try another audio cable... or could the 3.5mm input jack on my 2b be intermittently faulty....

I'm puzzled as the intermittent channel B occurs without touching anything.... :?

Dave

Stimaddict
Active Developer

Re: issue with Audio input dropping out

Post by Stimaddict »

Have you tried a different audio device? Phones are a bit hit-or-miss when it comes to stereo stimming.
jimuk
Active

Post by jimuk »

I had a similar issue when I was using my laptop as the audio source. Channel A would output fine but there was nothing on Channel B. I switched to a dedicated mp3 player and the problem went away which has lead me to believe it's to do with the headphone socket on my laptop, which coincidently is also the mic input. I think this combined socket is causing issues with the audio output.
Davespages
Active Developer

Post by Davespages »

Stimaddict wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:11 am Have you tried a different audio device? Phones are a bit hit-or-miss when it comes to stereo stimming.
Only used my phone... (Samsung s9+)

I will try my laptop and see if I can replicate the issue...

I have to remove my phone case to allow the cable to plug into the jack fully... so it isnt ideal but is more convenient than connecting a laptop...
Davespages
Active Developer

Post by Davespages »

jimuk wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:15 pm I had a similar issue when I was using my laptop as the audio source. Channel A would output fine but there was nothing on Channel B. I switched to a dedicated mp3 player and the problem went away which has lead me to believe it's to do with the headphone socket on my laptop, which coincidently is also the mic input. I think this combined socket is causing issues with the audio output.
OK, i tried it again with my.phone and the issue still persists.

I booted up my laptop and without touching the cable plugged into the 2b... just swapping it to my laptop.... the issue has gone. I cannot replicate it.

Also sent a stim file to my wife's phone :lol: and used her phone...
Works perfect and I cant replicate the issue.

Its my phone thats at fault... i blame the fact I've put my phone in the fish pond a few times for underwater video... :lol:

Hopefully I can repair/clean the headphone socket contacts in my phone.
Stimaddict
Active Developer

Post by Stimaddict »

The trick is to go into the settings and turn off all the audio software 'whistles-and-bells', including Dolby if it's there. This applies to all audio devices, especially 'Smart' Phones.
Davespages
Active Developer

Post by Davespages »

Dolby was on... but made no difference turning it off.

Cleaning the headphone port with a cotton bud and rubbing alcohol made no difference... but the cotton bud was very dirty when I removed it from the port.

I tried a pair of my DJ headphones and one side is dodgy....
Yet using the Samsung head set (with inline microphone) works perfect... i attribute this to the extended 4 section 3.5mm plug that connects the mic.

So... i have just bought a cheap Bluetooth receiver.. 3.5mm output that will plug into my 2b.
Then I will use it as a "Bluetooth" speaker from my phone.

Should solve the issue and I can continue using the stim audio files.

I have most of the ones from the archived library you make available by request....

Conincidently I tried accessing it earlier and it doesn't load... could be due to Google revising the storage limits this year?
Palvino

Post by Palvino »

I've got the same issue. I tried a different aux cable, but the issue was the same.
So I tried hooking up the aux to my phone and indeed, i got feelings familiar to when I first started, and the audio levels for A and B were in sync and looking a lot more normal. I could not finish though as the audio from my phone was only taking the levels up to about half. If anyone has any advice for the aux on my computer to work, let me know. Both my aux on the motherboard and my audio-technica mic are having the issue. I tried the aux on the front of my PC case and it seemed to have good levels, but I'd rather not use that port since its inconvenient, and I fear "burning" another port.
Stimaddict
Active Developer

Post by Stimaddict »

Palvino> Are you setting the audio volume correctly? For advice on using audio files in Stereo Mode see this post: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9670&p=14169#p14169
Palvino

Post by Palvino »

I tried various audio levels on my phone, but max volume only brings it up to about 40% on the 2B screen. I'm not "new" to this, I bought my 2B and was able to have quite a few HFO but the quality deteriorated over time. I think theres something wrong with my Aux port, since when I twist it around in the port it sometimes fixes the issue at least temporarily. Maybe a bad manufacturing batch per the fact that me and another user are having the issue around the same time. I thought the problem was with me so I took some breaks but I have been having the issue since December and maybe earlier, since it was a slow deterioration. Another thing I want to note is that when the audio isn't being properly handled it makes the 2B itself have a high pitched buzzing noise.