Tone, Volume and Effect?

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
oldnik
Active

Tone, Volume and Effect?

Post by oldnik »

I'm interested in stepping up from the TENS units I've been using so far towards something with audio stimulation. I've just ordered the Estim 2B

In addition to other features I am interested in using the audio features to trigger stimulation for dilemma type BDSM scenarios.

The idea I am considering is making a trigger tone generator box based on Arduino. Although I have limited electronic knowledge I do at least have some programming experience.

So my questions are what, in simple terms, is the relationship between Tone, Volume and Stimulation Effect and could these effects be driven directly from such a tone generator or would I need something else between the Arduino and the input socket of the 2B?

I hope you can help me.

estim_si
Staff

Re: Tone, Volume and Effect?

Post by estim_si »

The 2B is designed for complex Waveforms as in music so the relationship between feel and sound input is hard to define.

A much more refined and useful system would be to consider using the digital link when your source can generate precise controls over the mode, levels and adjustments.

Si

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldnik
Active

Post by oldnik »

I certainly intend to use the digital link for many things but I'm looking for a way to trigger an effect with a simple make break circuit for dilemma play. I am open to other ideas but I think a tone generator might be the easiest way to achieve that.

Using Arduino I can program it to change the tone based upon different parameters for example how many times a circuit is interrupted or for how long.

The tone generated does not have to be sophisticated in this instance, although the Arduino can be set up to produce a variety of different wave forms with a little electrickery and crafty programming if needed.
Stimaddict
Active Developer

Post by Stimaddict »

oldnik wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:16 am In addition to other features I am interested in using the audio features to trigger stimulation for dilemma type BDSM scenarios.
What you need is a timed padlock and a compilation of good, tortuous stimfiles.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************
Just a reminder that *anyone* here is welcome to PM me for a download link to hundreds of free, shared mp3 stimfiles organized by author - some up to 4 hours long!
I cannot post the link here out of respect for this forum's Admin and board rules regarding direct links to other people's work.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Unlimited access to the Stimfile Archive with No fees, No registration required, No ads, No catches, No expiry date and No hidden motives.
oldnik
Active

Post by oldnik »

Always good fun Stimaddict :lol: but what I am looking for is something I can use with my Sub as a dilemma trigger.

So far I have been using a simple interrupt relay with a TENS unit and a trigger switch, that closes the relay if the switch is closed, for example taking her weight off a stressed bondage position, which delivers a jolt to focus her attention.

That works well enough but what I want to achieve is a more nuanced effect. Do it once and you get a jolt, do it twice you get a more powerful jolt and so on.

My thinking is that using different tones and different volumes, which I can program an Arduino unit to deliver, gives me a wider variety of sensations to experiment with, so I was hoping someone could help me understand the relationships between sound and effect so that I can make the best use of that capability.

Presumably audio volume affects the "power" setting but does tone affect the "feel" setting for example?
NightWhoSaysNi
Active

Post by NightWhoSaysNi »

Hi oldnick

from my experience so far, your assumption below is only partially true. At least if you talk aboute the perceived power.
oldnik wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:21 am Presumably audio volume affects the "power" setting but does tone affect the "feel" setting for example?
The volume affects the power and in a limited way, a higher volume will cause more pain. But this is not even half of the story. The waveform matters as well and even the length of the signal has some influence.

To get a feeling of it, you can use an audio-editor like Audacity and generate the following examples:
  • 5 seconds of a 220 Hz sine
  • 5 seconds of a 220 Hz sawtooth
  • 5 seconds of a 220 Hz square-wave at 50% duty-cycle
  • 5 seconds of a logarithmic downchirped sine, starting at 880 HZ, ending at 110 Hz
  • the same downchirp with a sawtooth and a square-wave
  • 5 seconds of 1 second bursts of a sine, sawtooth and square-wave with pauses of 1 second
  • change the duration of the bursts and pauses
  • 5 seconds of 1-second bursts of a downchirp of sine, sawtooth and square from 880 Hz to 100 Hz
  • Change the timing of the bursts
  • replace the downchirps by upchirps
  • play around with the frequencies of the signals
  • You may even want to experiment with other things like DTMF-Sequences (best if played at half or a quarter of the original speed, downshifting the frequencies).
You will notice, almost all of the changes will affect the perceived power as well as the feeling. To make things even worse, signals that feel pleasurable when used your butt-cheeks, may be unbearably painful when applied to your genitalia and vice versa. I guess there are only very few general rules. You will have to experiment what kind of signal will give the desired (un-)pleasurable feeling.
oldnik wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:21 am Always good fun Stimaddict :lol: but what I am looking for is something I can use with my Sub as a dilemma trigger.
For this the suggestion of estim_si might be a better solution. Using the digital-link-interface you will be able to do a tight control.

If you use a tinkering-toy with an USB-host, like something in the PIs (raspberry, banana...), you won't have to worry about interfacing on the hardware side to much, allowing you to focus on the programming. If you want to use an Arduino, you may have to interface the 2B via the boards internal USART. It should be doable in theory, but I don't have hands-on experience with this.
oldnik
Active

Post by oldnik »

Thank you NightWhoSaysNi

That has given me some useful information to think about. My 2B arrived this morning and I've been experimenting with the built in programs and as you say, there is a big variation between perceived power even across those. I can see it's going to take some time and practice to get the hang of it.

A lot more power than my TENS units though which is promising. My sub is in for a surprise, she doesn't know about this yet. It's a Valentines gift... :o