3.5mm Mono Jack Wiring Question

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
frostyj807
Active

3.5mm Mono Jack Wiring Question

Post by frostyj807 »

I have started making my own leads with silicon insulation and curios if it matters which pole on the 3.5mm mono jack is wired where?

I don't think it makes much of a difference when using mono, but is there a 'common' that I should be using for connecting in tri-phase. Historically I have always connected the 'black' wires of each channel to the common electrode of choice, which I always assumed was 'ground' on the 3.5mm jack.

Hopefully this makes sense!

Thanks!

Stimaddict
Active Developer

Re: 3.5mm Mono Jack Wiring Question

Post by Stimaddict »

Hi - TriPhase, or a 3-Electrode Setup, is simply just this:
TriPhase Wiring.jpg
if not logged in see this URL - https://tinyurl.com/4dnjjk8y

Stim boxes use a kind of alternating current waveform so there is NO positive or negative. For the "Common" electrode you can connect two red cables, two blacks, or one red and one black.

As a rule of thumb the "Common" electrode should be where you want the most stimulation. For me that's usually the glans, but if you like ball stimming better then position the common trode there. The common can be ANY electrode - a pad, a Conductive Rubber loop, a metal cock ring or a butt plug.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Q) "What exactly is TriPhase?"

*A) This gets a bit technical. We all, perhaps incorrectly, refer to TRIPHASE when we really mean a 3-ELECTRODE SETUP. *TRUE* Triphase is something different.

A 3-electrode setup will produce two signals, one per channel. It drives current and sensation to the 'Common' electrode which can be delightful and the interaction between the two signals can feel enhanced.

*TRUE* TriPhase sensations involve the perception of a distinct third 'phantom' signal moving between the other two, achieved by having two phasing signals active on the output simultaneously. In stimming terms "true triphase" is a perceived sensory illusion working in a similar way to listening to Binaural Beat tones through headphones.

There is only one commercial stim box with an inbuilt routine capable of producing the true TriPhase effect, the Erostek ET312. However both the ET312 and the E-Stim Systems 2B can produce true TriPhase effects via STEREO audio input using certain stimfiles.

TBH I've never found 'true triphase' to be as good as the purists go on about, so personally I don't think it's worth getting too hung up about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
frostyj807
Active

Post by frostyj807 »

Thanks Stimaddict, apprciate the response.

Didn't know if the 2B used a common electrical ground plane or if it even mattered. Interesting you can use any lead or combo of leads for the common.

Thanks again!
soundcraft
Active Developer

Post by soundcraft »

Stimaddict wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:04 pm Hi - TriPhase, or a 3-Electrode Setup, is simply just this:

TriPhase Wiring.jpg

if not logged in see this URL - https://tinyurl.com/4dnjjk8y

Stim boxes use a kind of alternating current waveform so there is NO positive or negative. For the "Common" electrode you can connect two red cables, two blacks, or one red and one black.

As a rule of thumb the "Common" electrode should be where you want the most stimulation. For me that's usually the glans, but if you like ball stimming better then position the common trode there. The common can be ANY electrode - a pad, a Conductive Rubber loop, a metal cock ring or a butt plug.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Q) "What exactly is TriPhase?"

*A) This gets a bit technical. We all, perhaps incorrectly, refer to TRIPHASE when we really mean a 3-ELECTRODE SETUP. *TRUE* Triphase is something different.

A 3-electrode setup will produce two signals, one per channel. It drives current and sensation to the 'Common' electrode which can be delightful and the interaction between the two signals can feel enhanced.

*TRUE* TriPhase sensations involve the perception of a distinct third 'phantom' signal moving between the other two, achieved by having two phasing signals active on the output simultaneously. In stimming terms "true triphase" is a perceived sensory illusion working in a similar way to listening to Binaural Beat tones through headphones.

There is only one commercial stim box with an inbuilt routine capable of producing the true TriPhase effect, the Erostek ET312. However both the ET312 and the E-Stim Systems 2B can produce true TriPhase effects via STEREO audio input using certain stimfiles.

TBH I've never found 'true triphase' to be as good as the purists go on about, so personally I don't think it's worth getting too hung up about.

Just a thought but if you connected red and black ( red from channel 1 black from channel 2 or the other way round ) together you may end up with an out of phase signal which would dramatically reduce the output. If the two signals are of different changing frequency you may get the effect of coming in and out of phrase which would have the effect of drop outs when out of phase and peaks when in phase.

I might be talking total bollox but logically it makes sense.
mrbutt89
Active Developer

Post by mrbutt89 »

frostyj807 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:22 pm Thanks Stimaddict, apprciate the response.

Didn't know if the 2B used a common electrical ground plane or if it even mattered. Interesting you can use any lead or combo of leads for the common.

Thanks again!
I've come across at least one very experienced and knowledgeable user of the ET312B who maintains that the four possible wiring combinations for triphase actually feel different from one another. I can't say I've really noticed, but then I haven't compered them in any scientific way.
Stimaddict
Active Developer

Post by Stimaddict »

mrbutt89 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:32 am I've come across at least one very experienced and knowledgeable user of the ET312B who maintains that the four possible wiring combinations for triphase actually feel different from one another. I can't say I've really noticed, but then I haven't compered them in any scientific way.
Yeah this often came up on SmartStim. I've experimented but I'm damned if I can tell any difference. "True" Triphase is itself a sensory illusion, so maybe we perceive things differently according to our expectations?
Ronfire7
Active Developer

Post by Ronfire7 »

I seldom use 4 leads, find triphase less hassle to use.
Usually I us the common for the pad or connection in the middle of the other two.
cfuk
Active

Post by cfuk »

have you tried using four contacts, with the two "circuits" overlapping in terms of their placement, and seeing how your body creates a kind-of virtual tri-phase between the common contacts?
Curiosity

Post by Curiosity »

Has anyone got any suggestions for getting hold of a lead which combines 2x 2mm male plugs into one?
I could likely use the connectors from 2sticky pads and wire them together into a spare 2mm plug, but was wondering if there are other less DIY options 🙃
spini
Active

Post by spini »

Curiosity wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:54 am Has anyone got any suggestions for getting hold of a lead which combines 2x 2mm male plugs into one?
I could likely use the connectors from 2sticky pads and wire them together into a spare 2mm plug, but was wondering if there are other less DIY options 🙃
Current Pleasures has this adaptor (search for: 'Pin Joiner- 2 pin Jacks to 1 Pin Tri-Phase'), but it's currently sold out.

Assuming that you are wanting to create a tri phase cable, the E-stimsystems Triphase cable, while using 4mm plugs, comes with 4>2mm adaptors.

I have that cable, but for 2mm devices, I actually use Current Pleasure's dedicated 2mm Triphase cable (I had to specify that I wanted output plugs suitable for the 2B). I prefer the less bulky cables of the Current Pleasures set, even though the pins themselves I found are very poor quality. They bend very easily and I have had to replace them all with pins I extracted from TENS cables that I got on eBay.

spini