Help with audio setup

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
mikeshad

Help with audio setup

Post by mikeshad »

I've owned 2B for some time now, I generally like it - I regularly have HFOs with the built-in modes. I even experimented with writing a program to control it and emulate new modes by rapidly changing power and feel levels.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to setup the audio mode properly. I understand that the way 2B processes the signal is different from analog devices, so it needs different types of audio files, but I can't get good results even with files specifically design for it (from here, or milovana teases that claim to be designed for 2B).

To me, the audio mode feels like almost nothing or way too strong, I can't find a power level that would feel good. Additionally it has "spiky noise" in it that I don't feel with the built-in modes. I think part of the problem may be the volume level - I can't get the bars to fill the screen - while I increase the volume on phone/computer, the bars on 2B go from nothing up to about 75% and no higher no matter how much more volume I add after that. I tried with two computers and two phones and it behaves the same on all of them.

Does the mode (Stereo, Advanced Stereo), feel, power level, power ramp matter? Any advice on the player side? I've seen advise to use a dumb mp3 player, but I would like to make it work with phone or computer for the milovana teases.

Ronfire7
Active Developer

Re: Help with audio setup

Post by Ronfire7 »

You are not alone, I do not get along with the audio mode either.
snickare12

Post by snickare12 »

Same for me. It doesn't work.
mrbutt89
Active Developer

Post by mrbutt89 »

mikeshad wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:04 pm I've owned 2B for some time now, I generally like it - I regularly have HFOs with the built-in modes. I even experimented with writing a program to control it and emulate new modes by rapidly changing power and feel levels.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to setup the audio mode properly. I understand that the way 2B processes the signal is different from analog devices, so it needs different types of audio files, but I can't get good results even with files specifically design for it (from here, or milovana teases that claim to be designed for 2B).

To me, the audio mode feels like almost nothing or way too strong, I can't find a power level that would feel good. Additionally it has "spiky noise" in it that I don't feel with the built-in modes. I think part of the problem may be the volume level - I can't get the bars to fill the screen - while I increase the volume on phone/computer, the bars on 2B go from nothing up to about 75% and no higher no matter how much more volume I add after that. I tried with two computers and two phones and it behaves the same on all of them.

Does the mode (Stereo, Advanced Stereo), feel, power level, power ramp matter? Any advice on the player side? I've seen advise to use a dumb mp3 player, but I would like to make it work with phone or computer for the milovana teases.
If you have access to an mp3 player, it wouldn't do any harm to try it. However, given that you've tried various other devices I'm not very hopeful that it would give you different results. Have you tried a different stereo cable between the device and the 2B, in case there's a problem with the current cable or connectors?
Ideally, you wouldn't want the bars to fill the screen anyway, as you'll overdrive the input and lose definition in the audio. If movement in the bars averages out at about 75% that should be about right. However, it's strange that you don't seem to be able to get the response showing more than 75%.
Presumably you've checked that the output volume setting on the app you're using on the computer / phone to generate the sound is turned up high?
In my experience the output can be spikier on the 2B than on my other box when using audio files, but I personally quite like that. There are differences between the results from Stereo / Advanced Stereo, and also on the different Output Maps. If you have the option to chance those in your firmware version, give it a try. The middle adjust knob doesn't adjust the feel on audio files, just the level of responsiveness, but it certain is worth trying different settings.
If you still can't get the levels to go high, it might be worth contacting the folks at E-Stim Systems. I've always found them very helpful in the past.
snickare12

Post by snickare12 »

I feel the same as you. Either nothing or just too strong. Tried 3 mobile phones 4 computers 1 mp3 player. None of them work. Have had my 2b for 2 years.
gordon27

Post by gordon27 »

I've got a different issue: When I use the Stereo set up, and have the audio bars around the 75-80% level, I need the Channel Level to be really LOW - like less than half of the levels (40%) that I would use on Continuous or Throb or Wave.

So that can take me down to Channel levels of 3 or 4 when I use Stereo, and then a change of 1 unit up or down is a significant change in the actual output! I'd really like something that has a more gradual progression

Have others found the same? Is there a way to overcome this?
Drakes

Post by Drakes »

I found that upgrading the firmware actually makes the stereo setting feel much worse.

I would recommend you downgrade to v2.106 of the firmware if you want to experience how it's supposed to feel and if you're happy to sacrifice some of the newer modes introduced in the newer firmware. This was the last version Stereo mode felt good to me using audio files. The power levels are still quite sensitive, perhaps even more so. You won't get it to the same power levels as other modes, but it will eliminate the spiky noise sensations.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The new Beta firmware has two stereo modes, 3 output maps and a much greater range of adaptability, so its a bit disingenuous
to say it is how it is supposed to feel on 2.106. The fact is stereo modes are very much down to the input signal, how how the user uses and feels the output, you can see this from the number of people who like what the 2B audio does, against the number of people who don't like the audio. The fact is audio in any guise is not just plug and play it takes time to understand the nuances and differences each one of us feels when using it. In the same way not everyone likes Rock v Jazz.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
mrbutt89
Active Developer

Post by mrbutt89 »

Si makes a very important point.

The latest firmware has a lot of adjustments that can be made on the audio side, and the Output maps in particular each do very different things in terms of starting levels and rates of change.
Satori
Active

Post by Satori »

Drakes wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:31 am I found that upgrading the firmware actually makes the stereo setting feel much worse.

I would recommend you downgrade to v2.106 of the firmware if you want to experience how it's supposed to feel and if you're happy to sacrifice some of the newer modes introduced in the newer firmware. This was the last version Stereo mode felt good to me using audio files. The power levels are still quite sensitive, perhaps even more so. You won't get it to the same power levels as other modes, but it will eliminate the spiky noise sensations.
FWIW, this has been my experience as well. I am really interested in newer firmware, but this issue keeps me going back to v2.106.