Will the 2B ever improve its stereo capabilities?

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
hurtmeplease
Active

Re: Will the 2B ever improve its stereo capabilities?

Post by hurtmeplease »

I honestly just want to know more about how the stereo controls work, so that I can use the adjust more effectively. For instance, I noticed that if the input level of too high, the Adjust value automatically changes. That seems more like a behavior for gain or thresholds than anything else. Unless it's an averaging window thing and your total is hitting its max? I don't know. It seems silly to have to speculate or play reverse engineering games with oscilloscopes when there are active developers on the forums.

It would also be really nice to know how the input is processed because it would let people with audio files get an idea of what files would work, and also maybe let people design a filter or processing chain to make non-2B audio files work better with the 2B. A lot of these are synced with videos or graphics, and letting 2B users enjoy those would be a positive for e-stim, because people could buy a 2B instead of purchasing something else.

I bought the 2B because it seemed like there was active development, and developer involvement in a forum with an active community. The "it's designed to work great with <unspecified> <unspecified>" is disappointing when you could probably share just a little about what it actually does and help your users and the people who create audio estim files. Why not enable people to use the 2B in more ways? Give us users little more info, and maybe we can make the 2B more fascinating, instead of pushing people to other manufacturers or to homebrew (which, IMO seems like a bad idea without a lot more knowledge than I've seen in the instructions I've seen).

I looked at the commander tool. It seemed to me that all you could do was switch between the 2B's existing preset modes and vary the power and 1-2 adjust knobs.I don't know how you would calibrate a file for different electrode configurations or sensitivity at different times, or feel comfortable running a file that you didn't create yourself.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hurtmeplease wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:33 am I honestly just want to know more about how the stereo controls work, so that I can use the adjust more effectively. For instance, I noticed that if the input level of too high, the Adjust value automatically changes. That seems more like a behavior for gain or thresholds than anything else. Unless it's an averaging window thing and your total is hitting its max? I don't know. It seems silly to have to speculate or play reverse engineering games with oscilloscopes when there are active developers on the forums.

It would also be really nice to know how the input is processed because it would let people with audio files get an idea of what files would work, and also maybe let people design a filter or processing chain to make non-2B audio files work better with the 2B. A lot of these are synced with videos or graphics, and letting 2B users enjoy those would be a positive for e-stim, because people could buy a 2B instead of purchasing something else.
The simple answer is don't over drive the unit. You are now moving towards a niche of a niche of a niche in relation to visualisation systems. As to files that work and don't work, there are many many discussions on here and in other locations as to what works for some people and what works for others. The BIG problem is what works for one wont work for someone else, we are all different in what we enjoy. So creating a file that works for you, using what ever instruments, like creating music does not mean that the next person will enjoy or even tolerate the results of your creations.

We don't discuss core elements of our designs as, they are complex, changing, propriety, they get copied, people make too many assumptions as to what or why something does what is does and then we get into endless and pointless debates about design decisions we made from people who want a unit to do something that it was not designed to do. So the simple answer is no we don't provide further information on the audio system, a stance that seems to be followed by every other commercial manufacturer since the inception of e-stim.
I bought the 2B because it seemed like there was active development, and developer involvement in a forum with an active community. The "it's designed to work great with <unspecified> <unspecified>" is disappointing when you could probably share just a little about what it actually does and help your users and the people who create audio estim files. Why not enable people to use the 2B in more ways? Give us users little more info, and maybe we can make the 2B more fascinating, instead of pushing people to other manufacturers or to homebrew (which, IMO seems like a bad idea without a lot more knowledge than I've seen in the instructions I've seen).
There is active development. I am the designer of the 2B, I'm replying to you on the forum, and you are not even in the Developers section. (More detailed discussions and access to the latest Beta firmware does exist in the Dev section) .
The 2B has been around since 2010 and is still being developed and expanded. Just because it does not fit into the narrow criteria that you wish does not mean that it is not being actively developed in a number of areas. If you feel that people are being pushed into other manufacturers based purely on our stance as developers, then I would be interested in knowning whom you think they are being pushed to? I agree for most Homebrew development is fraught with issues and risks, but some people are prepared to take them, However we as a commercial manufacturer have to work within a different set of policies and have to be more risk adverse, we also have to develop units that work for a far wider range of users and we have developed a number of devices that are unique and different.
If we all produced a simple sterostim amp then life would be very boring and for most users un interesting. Not everyone wants to spend hours tuning files, and the 2B was designed to work with a different class of audio files, ones you can enjoy listening to.
I looked at the commander tool. It seemed to me that all you could do was switch between the 2B's existing preset modes and vary the power and 1-2 adjust knobs.I don't know how you would calibrate a file for different electrode configurations or sensitivity at different times, or feel comfortable running a file that you didn't create yourself.
Rather than dismiss functionality , why not explore and delve deeper into the options available with Commander. Create your own files, or use the visualisation tools to look at what works for you. You are worried about using files that others have created, but does that not provide the same issues with an audio file that others have created?.

Possibly approach the 2B from a different direction. the 2B is not a stereostim unit, it is a dynamic computer controllable e-stim unit that is being developed far beyond any other unit available today.

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
hurtmeplease
Active

Post by hurtmeplease »

admin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:08 am
We don't discuss core elements of our designs as, they are complex, changing, propriety, they get copied, people make too many assumptions as to what or why something does what is does
admin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:08 am There is active development. I am the designer of the 2B, I'm replying to you on the forum, and you are not even in the Developers section. (More detailed discussions and access to the latest Beta firmware does exist in the Dev section) .
The 2B has been around since 2010 and is still being developed and expanded. Just because it does not fit into the narrow criteria that you wish does not mean that it is not being actively developed in a number of areas. If you feel that people are being pushed into other manufacturers based purely on our stance as developers, then I would be interested in knowning whom you think they are being pushed to?
I think they are being pushed to stereostim kits, BTStim or some other manufacturers that seem to be making 312 "clones".There are a bunch of posts on the web that say things like "2B is no good for audio, just build a stereostim box for $50."
(feel free to edit out the device names if that's not appropriate for the site).

Rather than dismiss functionality , why not explore and delve deeper into the options available with Commander. Create your own files, or use the visualisation tools to look at what works for you. You are worried about using files that others have created, but does that not provide the same issues with an audio file that others have created?.
[/quote]

I can set the percent level on the 2B before playing an audio file, which I think limits the max that I'll get out of the device. Is there a scaling that I can apply on the commander files? I didn't see any options like that in the commander docs.
admin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:08 am Possibly approach the 2B from a different direction. the 2B is not a stereostim unit, it is a dynamic computer controllable e-stim unit that is being developed far beyond any other unit available today.
But I think it could have a lot more compatibility with other creators. Wouldn't that be a positive for the device? I'm not suggesting additional development or features, just some basic blackbox information about how it works.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So the jist is you want it to be another '312 clone. :-) It's not and never will be. If you are suggesting people are moving from a 2B to a 50$ stereostim purely due to their lack of understanding on the audio on the 2B, then I have no issue with that, that is their choice and again the 2B was never designed to be a stereostim device, nor a clone of the 312 - clones which still seem to have bugs and have development locked in the 1990s because no one actually having access to the code or real understanding how the code works, and people are happy to rip off other companies designs and call it progress.

We are still working on increasing options on the 2B, so you might find things closer to what you are looking for over time but we actually pride ourselves on offering something different to the 312 and it's clones - it's called choice, and given the fact we sell morfe and more 2Bs over the years I think we might have something that most people want and enjoy.

Saying all that please don't think we don't listen, we value conversations likes this as it does give us ideas and thoughts for the future - that is one of the ways we develop new ideas

Si
E-Stim Systems Ltd
hurtmeplease
Active

Post by hurtmeplease »

I don't necessarily want it to be a 312 clone, but I do want it to be able to make use of all the input files that were created for it.

I do think that there are people who have avoided purchasing a 2B because of the way it processes audio.