POWER SUPPLY SAFETY TIP

General Chit Chat about E-Stim. Not just E-Stim Systems, but ErosTek, PES and others.
Healer
Active

POWER SUPPLY SAFETY TIP

Post by Healer »

If you have an AC power supply and use it with your 2B, here is a safety tip.

Be careful when you remove your supply from an outlet. Particularly an outlet that provides a firm grip on the power blades of the supply. Here is why:

Two days ago, I decided to move my 2B session to another location. In doing so, I grasped each side of the power supply, as one would normally do, and pulled it straight up and out. But the cover that contains the two power blades remained installed in the surge suppressor outlet.

The danger is this: The blades are embedded through the plastic cover so that they will make contact with the twin isolated paddles on the power supply itself. That means that if you touch the cover while it is still installed in the power outlet and happen to run your finger or fingers across the embedded metal fingers you could be electrocuted. I came close to being shocked except I realized the mistake I was about to make and shut the mains off before removing the stuck cover. SO BE CAREFUL WITH THIS SUPPLY IT COULD BITE YOU IF YOU ARE NOT OBSERVANT, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE LUBES ON YOUR FINGERS!!!

Further more, I am having no luck reinstalling the blade cover and have to resort to buying another supply. This should not have happened. I believe it to be an accident looking for a place to happen which translates to a Liability case. This unit needs to be examined for improved safety blade cover installation. :!: :!: :!:

admin
Site Admin

Re: POWER SUPPLY SAFETY TIP

Post by admin »

I'm a little confused as looking at a E-Stim Systems Power supply in front of me if the adaptor plate is removed from the main unit, then it is impossible to touch the metal contacts inside as they are recessed by around 5mm for exactly that reason. If you pull a US style plug out 1/2 way it is possible to touch the exposed prongs, but that is a known issue with US plugs and not a fault with any power supply design.

The fact that some countries like the US have exposed metal contacts on the plugs is beyond me, most other countries mandate insulators on the prongs, but the power supplies we sell are manufactured for us and not only meet but exceed all UK/EU and US safety standards. If you do remove a plug and the adaptor plate has not been clipped in correctly and it comes off, then the advice is always disconnect the mains before attempting to remove the adaptor plate. You can also clip the power supply back, with a sliding action and then remove the assembly as normal.
IMG_7196.jpeg
I will also point out that using a non E-Stim Systems Approved power supply will invalidate your lifetime guarantee, AND potentially increase the risks of using a power supply.

Si
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
E-Stim Systems Ltd
Healer
Active

Re: POWER SUPPLY SAFETY TIP REPLY

Post by Healer »

THANKS FOR LOOKING AT THIS.

I am not talking about a general power supply. Instead, I am talking about the power supply that comes with the 2B, not some general supply.

The cover plate definitely has exposed metal of sufficient depth to be vulnerable.

I would take a picture and send it to you if you think that would make it more clearer and for the benefit of users.

Healer sends
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Healer wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:39 am THANKS FOR LOOKING AT THIS.

I am not talking about a general power supply. Instead, I am talking about the power supply that comes with the 2B, not some general supply.

The cover plate definitely has exposed metal of sufficient depth to be vulnerable.

I would take a picture and send it to you if you think that would make it more clearer and for the benefit of users.

Healer sends
The photo above IS of the current E-Stim Systems power supply, well the removeable adaptor plate for the power supply. (We supply 4 different adaptor plates for the various countries). We have never sold a power supply that is not compliant to the various required safety standards, so a pictures would be useful, not just of the of the plate, but also the power supply. if you could send it to support@estim.systems that would be great. As has been said above, the power supplies we supply, and I have the old version and the current version to hand, and nether exhibit the characteristics you mention. It is not possible to touch the contacts from the rear due to the position of the sliding mouldings, which you can see in the picture above.

Admin
E-Stim Systems Ltd
Stimaddict
Active Developer

Post by Stimaddict »

admin wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:13 am It is not possible to touch the contacts from the rear due to the position of the sliding mouldings, which you can see in the picture above.
Having checked my own ESS mains adapter I can personally confirm the above. There is NO WAY to touch any live contacts. Also, once the adapter plate for your country is clicked into place it becomes a permanent, solid unit. The only way to 'accidentally' remove it is with a large hammer.