2B External Power

The most versatile and user friendly E-Stim control unit available today. If you want More Power, More Control, and more fun, then the 2B is the one you want.
Nemesis
Active

2B External Power

Post by Nemesis »

Was just wondering if anyone knew what the voltage tolerance on the external power input was, I believe the external PSU is 12v?

Just wondering if it would be viable to run from a 3 cell Lipo (12.6v charged, 11.1v discharged) or similar?

Thanks

wrecks

Re: 2B External Power

Post by wrecks »

Hi Nemesis,

I use a similar setup with a 4-cell lipo and a voltage regulator.

I run it through a step down voltage regulator set to output 12V - (search ebay for a LM2596 Voltage Regulator). I have a low voltage alarm connected to the lipo as they don't take well to being discharged too much. The alarm is annoyingly, super ear piercingly loud which works for me as I can be a touch distracted. This setup works very well (no difference from mains adapter).

If you only have 3 cell lipos and don't want to buy a 4 - cell you can get something called a boost/buck converter which can step voltage up and down. No experience with these but might save you from costly lipo purchases.

As a side note, lipos are capable of immense current delivery. With my setup I don't believe this poses any safety difference from mains power somehow working its way in, but I feel it's worth mentioning as someone may have some info here. For this reason alone I would never directly connect a lipo without a voltage regulator.

It's probably a really good idea to wrap your lipo in silicone tape or otherwise ruggedise it a bit, they sometimes react explosively to being dropped or having holes poked in them. Obviously this could happen in the heat of the moment.

I have a variety of different capacity lipos in varying condition so it's difficult to say how long they last, but it's at least an hour for a 2500mah cell.

As a general rule I like to feed most devices exactly what they want over their mains-adapter plugs. Given that there is essentially a tiny computer in your 2B I would keep the voltages tight also. Given finally that all this is connected to your body I tend not to get too inventive or push the limits here.

Have a blast! =)